Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > General Rabbit Discussion > Why did you choose a rabbit as a pet? What you love?

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:09 PM   #31
mark

Liked 33 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 146

We started with one rescue rabbit (or so we thought - full story here, in my first post: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=88550 ) and adopted another rescue bun as a companion for him.

My wife and I didn't have any pets, and although I love cats, I am very allergic to them. And even though we love dogs, we didn't want to deal with certain aspects of ownership that come along with them: having to be home to allow them out to go to the bathroom, possibly barking while we are away, and the feces (gross!).

The rabbits are very clean for the most part - we do get hay (and fur!) everywhere somehow. Ours are litter trained, at least for urination (the important part). The poops that don't make it into the litter box initially are easily cleaned up - we usually use a whisk broom and dustpan. They are silent - we love that. They can be left alone for longer periods of time than dogs can (since they have the litter box). They don't smell very much (only a little) and importantly, I am not allergic to them. I love their curious nature (Ellie stands on a chair near the window and looks out; they love empty boxes on the floor) and their "vices" (Kimchi is a fiend for banana, apple, nectarines and peaches). The binkies and running around are so fun to watch!

But overall the main reason we love them is that they are adorable, and they are a departure from the traditional "dog or cat". We did the fish tank thing for years, and I loved having the fish but my wife soon tired of it.

We are all-in on rabbits as pets. We can't believe we didn't "discover" how great they are sooner!

samoth Likes This