Need advice on how to get bunny to eat fresh fruits and veggies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUSTBUNNY-CLYDE

Reaction score
Started the boys on fresh fruit and veggies about 1 1/2 ago. they're are now 8 mos. old. Clyde( aka little piggy) likes everything. Dustbunny will not eat anything I offer. they are on oxbow young bunny pellets and variety of unlimited hay. I offered( multiple times) 7 types of lettuce, spinach, cucumber, red pepper,cilantro, parsley, apple, strawberries, blueberries, carrots, dandylions. will he be ok with not eating fruits and veggies his whole life?? weird little bunny!!!!

Are you sure she doesn't chow down when you aren't watching? My new girl is reluctant to take the food from me, but she'll eat it when I'm not holding it for her (although I discovered that she's keen enough on apple to come over and "risk being killed by the scary person" to eat it immediately while I'm offering it and not when I've put it down and shut the hatch). Just make it available. She'll probably end up giving it a go in time.

I tried hand feeding, putting it in bowl in cage, putting it in favorite laying spot, in litter box. I counted the pieces of fruits and veggies and he's not touching it!!! he comes up for other treats and eats hay and treats off of me everyday!!!

Rabbits can be funny that way, and they're all different. I found with both Scone MacBunny and Natasha Rabbitova, they'd approach a new food suspiciously, and often refuse to eat it the first time. The second time I offered it, he or she had smelled it once before and now it wasn't so scary, so it was worth a nibble. By the third time they couldn't wait for me to put it down for them to eat.

I'd offer one vegetable - something like romaine or green leaf lettuce or kale or parsley, which tend to be bunny favorites - and let Dustbunny get used to it. Then try again with the same thing. You may find he'll eat it the second or third time you offer it, and once the ice is broken he won't hesitate.

If he never does learn to like fresh vegetables, he'll be OK on pellets and hay, though, so I wouldn't be terribly concerned.

My Xena likes nearly everything given to her, meanwhile my Conan will only eat green, specific ones, no fruit at all and maybe dried banana or cranberry as a treat. Nothing else. Loves his pellets though, while it seems Xena tolerates them. Different tastes I guess, and as long as yours likes pellets and hay it will keep.

With my dogs, if the other one wants it or eats it, any reluctance disappears. The minute they see "the other one" having it, they want it for themselves. Although they aren't dogs and have the same competitive instincts, in time she might be encouraged to join in if she sees the other bunny enjoying it. Otherwise, if there's treats she likes, is there a way to incorporate that with the new food? I know my girl likes apples, if I wanted to try to get her eating something, I reckon I might have success if I grated a bit of apple and mixed it up, or put it on top.

Also, she might be picking up on your anxiety over wanting her to do it and it might be subconsciously freaking her out a bit. Try to relax and offer it with a devil-may-care attitude. She might be picking up tension from you and associating it with the refused food.

to your question of will they be okay without veggies. None of our rabbits are fed veggies on a daily basis. They all get a horse quality coastal hay and an alfalfa based pellet. No digestive issues here due to stasis or malnutrition

My little man won't take new stuff from my hands so I put it in his bowl. He ends up eating around it until he just seems to give it a shot and then ends up eating it. The nex time I feed him it he seems to eat it. He definetly has favorite greens, so maybe try different stuff? I guess if it were me I would keep offering foods and he might eventually decide its worth a shot.

Dustbunny finally ate a fresh banana slice! yay!! I keep on offering a variety of greens every evening too!! maybe he'll come around. It's funny how different the 2 boys are when it comes to eating, playing, personality!! clyde will eat anything and when he wants more he takes his stainless steel bowl out of the holder and throws it around his cage!!!

At 8 months old, they can transition to Oxbow's adult. They can also, then, start having the quantity of pellets limited. That may make a difference also in being more willing to try greens.

actually just ordered oxbow adult food a few days ago to transition them soon. makes sense he'll wont be filled up on pellets and he'll eat his veggies like a good little boy!! hahahaaha!! thanks so much!!

Latest posts

Back