Bunny food help !

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MszGenevieve

Reaction score
I got my bunny Pepper about a week ago, I was given half a freezer bag or a little more of the pellets she was feeding them. At the time I didn't even think to ask the brand for the pellets, I tried contacting her & she's always busy but said she bought the pellets at Petsmart & that they're Alfalfa. I'm starting to get low on his food & I've been searching for Alfalfa pellets & I can NOT find them anywhere. The exotic pet stores I go to only have Timothy products but no Alfalfa. First off, what brand should I be giving him ? I want a good one for him, & second if I can't find any Alfalfa pellets before he runs out of these what should I get him ?

How old is your rabbit. The bag of food she gave you was to help transition him over to a food that you will use for the rest of his life. If he is a young rabbit alfalfa based pellets are fine. If you cannot find alfalfa and he is younger and still growing you can give a Timothy based pellet supplemented with alfalfa hay. It really depends on how old he is. If he is no longer growing or older than 6mos you can use a Timothy based pellet

How old is your rabbit. The bag of food she gave you was to help transition him over to a food that you will use for the rest of his life. If he is a young rabbit alfalfa based pellets are fine. If you cannot find alfalfa and he is younger and still growing you can give a Timothy based pellet supplemented with alfalfa hay. It really depends on how old he is. If he is no longer growing or older than 6mos you can use a Timothy based pellet
He's only two months, I was told to keep him on that till hes at least 6mos to a year from the lady. I do have him on alfalfa hay at the moment with the pellets I got from her

Do you have any pet stores or farm supply stores in the area? Petco, Petsmart, Tractor Supply, even Walmart. They should all have alfalfa pellet options. Most brands of pellets are alfalfa-based. Timothy pellets are usually more difficult to find.

If you are in Ontario, good luck finding Alfalfa pellets... I work at Petsmart and could not find ANY young rabbit food. I put my little one on rabbit food that said it was for adults and baby rabbits. Only because I had no luck anywhere!

I would suggest a locally owned pet store, preferably one with good small animal items. These stores are usually more willing to special order something if they can. Some can have better prices than big stores as they get to set prices rather than the company.

Do you have any pet stores or farm supply stores in the area? Petco, Petsmart, Tractor Supply, even Walmart. They should all have alfalfa pellet options. Most brands of pellets are alfalfa-based. Timothy pellets are usually more difficult to find.
I don't think w/i my city no, I'd have to go about an hr or so out of town to find farm supply stores. For w/e reason I see a LOT of timothy based products but no alfalfa, I actually took the last alfalfa hay from Petsmart that I saw was there

oxbow young bunny are alfalfa based. there's a couple of websites that you can rush delivery???
I see Petsmart carries the adult one, so I'm wondering if maybe they have the one for babies too. Kaytee has a juvenile feed w/ alfalfa in it, but I've never gotten that brand for any of my small animals, so I'm not sure if its any good or not. If I can't find it anywhere I'm going to have to go ahead and order online for him :/

I would suggest a locally owned pet store, preferably one with good small animal items. These stores are usually more willing to special order something if they can. Some can have better prices than big stores as they get to set prices rather than the company.
I'll have to look tomorrow for some, I don't think there's too many where I live especially with small animal items. Most are just exotic pet stores & they seem to only have timothy based feed or the trail mix looking food which I know to stay away from

If you locate an exotics vet in your area they are sure to sell Oxbow Young Rabbit pellets, it is a really good idea to start considering what veterinarian you plan to use before there is an emergency.

If you locate an exotics vet in your area they are sure to sell Oxbow Young Rabbit pellets, it is a really good idea to start considering what veterinarian you plan to use before there is an emergency.
I already found a vet for him a week before I got him. Ill have to call & ask about the food there. But I think I found a place that carries it close to my home, im going to go there & look today

Latest posts

Back