Thinking of an addition?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harley'sMummy

Reaction score
Harley is now well on her way to recovering from her spaying and we have had the idea of adding another little bun to our family.

We've been advised that a male would be best for Harley to get on with and of course I came here to seek some advice from the community that has helped me out before.

I am looking at rescue centres close to me here in the UK and am hoping to find an already altered male not too much older than Harley for her to possibly bond with.

Any tips and advice on what kind of rabbit to pick and what actions will need to be taken if we decide to add a boy to our family as we are totally clueless about this at the minute.

Thanks in advance! :bouquet:

I only have a single bun so have no experience with bonding. I do however, follow every blog or post concerning bonding so from what I have read, typically a male/ female combo has the best success for bonding. You will want to be prepared if the just cannot be bonded to either keep the buns separate for life or face the possibility to return the adopted bun to the rescue and possibly try with another bun.

In most cases the process takes time so you should make sure you are committed to this.

You should give the new bun time to settle in to his knew home before beginning the process.

Hope this helps a little and I am sure others with the experience will be along to impart their wisdom on the matter. Good Luck!

I just recently got a second rabbit - a female for my male, Abe. Both were fixed when they met - Penny through the rescue and Abe, I had neutered.

I brought him to an adoption event at a local pet store where the rescue was hosting a table with about 8 rabbits. They had a pen set up on the floor and we put Abe in it and one by one he met the other rabbits and watched. The "worst" reaction was not that bad and with a little male dwarf - you could see the tension between the two. One female kept trying to hump Abe. He was indifferent to several more and finally he met Penny and they got along well from the start. They ate together and groomed each other, it was very cute. By the next evening they were bonded. I had a separate cage for her (actually I had to scramble that night to finish the hutch I was working on) and for the first night they were separate. The next day I watched them take turns humping each other for a few hours.

I do think I could have bonded any of the rabbits he met that day, it just would have taken longer. But when we saw Abe and Penny loving on each other from the first second we took her and ran (not literally)!

Latest posts

Back