Bonding Oreo?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnbunn

Reaction score
So I've posted about my new baby bunny. I was curious about bonding him with a female. I've never had one this young with an opportunity to bond. There's some netherland dwarfs about an hour from me. They'd be similar size and age. I like their small size and cute little ears. I've checked Oreo out and it looks to be male. I know about introducing them in neutral territory but wasn't sure if Oreo was too young. We would get Oreo neutered ASAP. I hear 6 months is usually the best to spay/neuter. Any advice is welcomed but please don't be harsh. I'm learning about baby bunnies. I know plenty about adults. Thanks

I would probably check with the dwarf owners to see if any of them have had a cage mate right then. I think that would be a easier transition to bonding with Oreo since the little bun would be use to having a pal around. If they don't its not the end of the world but member slowly introduce them and don't worry about going to slow! You can start by letting them meet each other for a few minutes and slowly extend the periods and place the cages next to/across next from each other

Oreo had 2 siblings and the dwarfs have cage mates. I wanted to adopt Oreos sibling but it was already spoken for. The ad for the dwarfs shows many bunns all together. It's the only ones I found semi local that are reasonably priced. They seem to be an expensive breed. I have a couple extra cages.

Even though they are young, I would wait until after they are neutered to introduce them...we have two who got along fine (not litter mates) before spay/neuter and afterwards do not get along. They were spayed/neutered the same day, allowed to recuperate, and then reintroduced. They will not bond :( I wish you luck! Keep us posted!

I honestly agree with mochajoe, I know it's tough to wait but it may be best. Also, if you adopt the shelter usually lets you have short dates with the potential new bun and then your rabbit can pick who he likes best. Plus you'd be saving a life :)

Thanks for the advice. I may be waiting anyway. My husband can't see driving over an hour to get a rabbit. I'd have to find one closer and that may be hard. Heck I may not even do it at all. We'll see.

Latest posts

Back