Please help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiecrna

Reaction score
My rabbit doesn't feel well. This morning she was acting a little more shy than usual, but she ate her cilantro and pellets and hay. I took her outside to run around at 4pm but she didn't seem like playing, she just laid there which isn't that uncommon. At 5pm I went to get her outside and usually I have to chase her but she didn't move... this scared me. So now it's 9pm and she hasn't eaten anything... no hay, pellets, cilantro, or carrots. And I don't see any poop. She is just sitting in the same spot. She didn't move when I pet her. I had my brother pet her which normally she would run away but she didn't.

I picked her up to feel her belly and it was soft. She then ran away back in her spot. I am so worried. I have critical care and simethicone on hand. How long should I give her before give her one? It's 9pm right now so if she still looks bad in the morning I will bring her to the vet.

d5419c9610af08a8527455ea3958acc3.jpg

She just keeps sitting like this. Normally she lays out.

Not eating is a medical emergency in rabbits. You want to get her to a vet ASAP if she stops eating.

If you have to wait ~8-12 hours for your vet to open, I recommend trying to feed her some critical care to carry her over to morning.

Given that she's in a more hunched/sitting position (when you say she is typically in a lying position), that can point to GI issues -- even if a physical palpitation of the stomach doesn't show anything out of the ordinary. Simethicone is a relatively safe drug, so I can't think of a reason not to try administering a rabbit-appropriate dose. It can help alleviate any symptoms that might be related to gas or bloating.

Anyone else have input/suggestions?

Simethicone 1 ml each hour x 3 doses. Syringe some water into her if you know how. 10 ml of critical care slurry every 4-6 hours. Offer hay and greens often by hand feeding. Warm her up with a warm water bottle. Lots of tlc. If she doesn't start eating or pooping within 24 hours of this starting then take her to the vet. Hope she snaps out of it soon. It sucks but it's not uncommon.

I second the simethicone. At first sign of GI stress you can give her some. It is totally safe. It can only help. The sooner you give her the simethicone the quicker she can get back to feeling better.

I have one rabbit that is prone to GI issues. The moment he starts refusing foods he normally would eat, I give him simethicone. Often it only takes one or two doses and he's back to eating.

Thanks everyone. I gave her some critical care and simethicone. I think I'll be sleeping with her tonight

I would try simethicone as well. However, I have to caution about the suggestion of feeding critical care. If a rabbit has a complete bowel obstruction or has bloat, syringe feeding can make a bad situation worse. You are adding content to a stomach that isn't moving at all, which will increase pressure on the internal organs. With bloat this can be a very bad thing especially. It's best to only start syringe feeding once a vet has ruled out bloat and a complete blockage.

You've already fed the critical care, but my suggestion would be to not syringe feed anymore without first talking with your vet. The simethicone I would continue to give(dosing info in link)over the next few hours until my bun was feeling well or til I could get her into the vet in the morning.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Thank you everyone so much!! The simethicone worked! And hand feeding her. She is doing well this morning, eating and pooping. The poop isn't normal yet but it's getting there.

Latest posts

Back