Bonding Questions: Am I doing this right?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tajallen

Reaction score
I recently adopted a female Dutch (Greyson) from the Humane Society. I have a male Netherland Dwarf (Kylo) as well.

Kylo is of infatuated with her, and she's not aggressive with him. She just doesn't want to let him be dominate ( I guess?), but Kylo doesn't seem to mind now that a few days have gone by (5 days). I say that because they put their heads down and Kylo usually is the one to begin grooming after or no one gets groomed.

I haven't had to break up any aggression and they pretty much ignore each other most of the time in the x-pen. Kylo might try to get her to groom him, but they don't chase long at all, maybe a few seconds and then it stops completely. They also like to use each other's litter box and drink from each other's water. So I'm confused on what I should do next. :cry1:

Should I keep them in the cage together with no divider and just let it be that? Right now, I put a divider between the cages at night just because I don't trust Greyson to leave Kylo's food alone. He eats slow (like me) and comes back to it, but she will try to eat it and her portion as well.

All the videos and articles I've seen on bonding usually have an aggressive rabbit and requires stress bonding, but they aren't really aggressive at all. I just think Greyson is getting comfortable with realizing she isn't the only rabbit anymore (she was in her previous home).

Are you bonding them in neutral territory? They say that when you feel you can comfortably leave them out of eyesight together for hours on end in neutral territory, you can move them into a new home together, that has either not been lived in by either of them or scrubbed to seem that way. If you put them into a cage that is previously occupied by one of them a fight may happen. Usually the doe is more territorial than the buck. It sounds like it's going quite well though!

Latest posts

Back