What's best for my rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlotteee95

Reaction score
Hi!
First time rabbit owner here!
I have got two beautiful mini lop brothers named Ben&Jerry.
As i write this post they are about 16 weeks and since they have been home (came home to us at 13 weeks) they have been on a diet of Nature's Touch from Pets at Home although its great and both rabbits have loved it, I wasn't too sure on the portion size i should be giving them of it?
Its also £6 for 1.4kg of the stuff..
So i been researching and found a lot use Burgass pellets so i went out an bought some an trying to introduce and even now as my 1.4kg has run out all my bunnies seem to want to eat is leafy greens and i find my pellets don't even get touched. I still find the same amount in the bowl first thing and last thing of the day and i don't know what to do.
Is it ok for my bunnies to be purely on greens, veg and hay?
Should i revert back to Nature's Touch? if so how much should i feel them if they weigh 0.8kg?
Or should i try another form of pellet?

Hi!
As i write this post they are about 16 weeks and since they have been home (came home to us at 13 weeks) they have been on a diet of Nature's Touch from Pets at Home although its great and both rabbits have loved it, I wasn't too sure on the portion size i should be giving them of it?
So i been researching and found a lot use Burgass pellets so i went out an bought some an trying to introduce and even now as my 1.4kg has run out all my bunnies seem to want to eat is leafy greens and i find my pellets don't even get touched. I still find the same amount in the bowl first thing and last thing of the day and i don't know what to do.
Should i revert back to Nature's Touch? if so how much should i feel them if they weigh 0.8kg?
Hi! It is totally fine for your bunny to be on just a hay, veg and green based diet. My vet recently told me to put my bun on the same diet as she wouldn't eat any of her nuggets either! As long as they are definitely given hay then yes a no nugget diet is mostly recommended! Hope this helped you :) x

Hi!
Hi! It is totally fine for your bunny to be on just a hay, veg and green based diet. My vet recently told me to put my bun on the same diet as she wouldn't eat any of her nuggets either!yAs long as they are definitely given hay then yes a no nugget diet is mostly recommended! Hope this helped you :) x

Hi! It is totally fine for your bunny to be on just a hay, veg and green based diet. My vet recently told me to put my bun on the same diet as she wouldn't eat any of her nuggets either!yAs long as they are definitely given hay then yes a no nugget diet is mostly recommended! Hope this helped you :) x

Do NOT go back to Nature's Touch. That is a mix of various stuff/junk. A healthy pellet is plain and has no colorful add-ins. Often rabbits need to be slowly transitioned to a new pellet brand. They don't just take to a new brand right away. One needs to mix the old and the new in stages.

Here is a good comparison chart of various pellet brands. This link goes directly to juvenile rabbit pellets. They also have a link for adult pellets.
http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp?diet=young&sortby=FoodBrand#chart

At their young age, pellets are a good source of needed vitamins and minerals for growing. Hay is the most important, however. It is great that they are tolerating greens. Just don't go overboard on certain veggies. Carrots, for instance, are so sugary that they should be considered a treat only.

Once you look at the chart and choose a brand, it is possible you'll need to get a small portion of the Nature's Touch just to use as a transition. Mix 1 part new pellets with 3 parts old (NT) for a few days. Then switch to equal portions for a few more days. Then mix 3 parts new pellets with 1 part old for a few days. By then bunny will hopefully be used to the new, healthier pellet brand.

I agree with what was said. It's great to give vegetables but you can't only give leafy greens, especially if you plan to not give pellets (if you do it will be a small amount of very good quality pellets - look up the chart that was linked by blueeyes!) or your rabbits will have deficiencies. My rabbits only eat like a tablespoon of pellets (so maybe five or six of them) but they ate more of them when they were still growing, so until their 6th month. And they've got around 5 different vegetables everyday with 2/3 of leafy greens 1/3 of other things and I never buy exactly the same things from one week to another. The house rabbit society website has a good list of vegetables. Be careful while introducing vegetables, make sure there is no diarrhea and don't give several new vegetables at once to avoid upsetting their guts.

Latest posts

Back