Papaya Enzyme Tabs or Pineapple Juice?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnieLuva

Reaction score
Hi!

I know we're suppose to give our buns those Papaya Enzyme Tabs to keep fur blockage, but I've also heard that you can give Pineapple Juice as well...so my question is...

Which is better to give my bun? Is one safer than the other? Is the Pineapple Juice ok to give to my bun at all? Is there a certain age that I start giving her the tabs or juice or does age matter?

Just want to make sure I don't give her something she shouldn't have.

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

[line]:bunny19 Have a Super Hoppy Bunny-riffic Day :bunny19

Bren...aka BunnieLuva

Hi :) We started giving Fraggles paypaya tabs at around five months. I am not sure if you can do it sooner. Pineapple is good for the shedding season but not needed any other time. It should be fresh pineapple and if you can get her to eat a little of the fruit then that's better. Hope that helps :) On another note......Is that your bunny in the avatar? Oh my sweetness! You know we are practicely neighbors ;)

Aw to little avatar bunnies!
I feed dried papaya a couple times a week. Pineapple was never a treat to Acacia, she acted offended. "why would you do this to meee!!!" she'd cry. :/
I would keep both to a minimum since they both are high in sugars. Pineapple is also acidic, so I would opt for papaya anyway. :)

I would definitely choose papaya tablets over pineapple. During shedding season I put one tablet on top of their pellets. Depending on how bad they're shedding I may give them one every few days or once a week. It isn't as messy and they love them. The tablets I have indicate there's1 gram of sugar per 3 tablets.

I give the oxbow papaya tablets as a treat to Samson like, 3 or 4 times a week? She loves them.

Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears wrote:
There is no evidence either works. I give my kids fresh pineapple in the summer as a treat and they love it!

That may be true, but I've never had a rabbit with hairball issues so I'm assuming the papaya tablets work, at least for me. :p

I_heart_Fraggles wrote:
Hi :) We started giving Fraggles paypaya tabs at around five months. I am not sure if you can do it sooner. Pineapple is good for the shedding season but not needed any other time. It should be fresh pineapple and if you can get her to eat a little of the fruit then that's better. Hope that helps :) On another note......Is that your bunny in the avatar? Oh my sweetness! You know we are practicely neighbors ;)
Hi Katie!

Thanks for the info :D Yes that is my bun in my avatar, her name is Posie and she will be coming home to me on the 15th...I'm so excite.

Your Fraggles is sure cute...love them ears :biggrin:

OMGoodness we are neighbors aren't we? We will so have to get together sometime now you know that right? Hehehehe. My addy is actually Tacoma, but I believe it's actually Parkland...go figure.

Bren...aka BunnieLuva

Acacia-Berry wrote:
Aw to little avatar bunnies!
I feed dried papaya a couple times a week. Pineapple was never a treat to Acacia, she acted offended. "why would you do this to meee!!!" she'd cry. :/
I would keep both to a minimum since they both are high in sugars. Pineapple is also acidic, so I would opt for papaya anyway. :)
Yeah I don't want to give her anything that is high in sugar...thanks so much for the info :D

Bren...aka BunnieLuva

majorv wrote:
I would definitely choose papaya tablets over pineapple. During shedding season I put one tablet on top of their pellets. Depending on how bad they're shedding I may give them one every few days or once a week. It isn't as messy and they love them. The tablets I have indicate there's1 gram of sugar per 3 tablets.
Thanks Vicki :D actually when is shedding season? Is it different times per bun or is it the same for all?

Bren...aka BunnieLuva

OneTwoThree wrote:
I give the oxbow papaya tablets as a treat to Samson like, 3 or 4 times a week? She loves them.
Yeah those are the same ones I was giving to my Uno, when he was with me.

Do you know if there is a certain age I should start giving them to my bun...I'm assuming that I don't give them to her everyday.

Bren...aka BunnieLuva

There is no evidence either works. I give my kids fresh pineapple in the summer as a treat and they love it!
Thanks Rebecca :D

Bren...aka BunnieLuva

majorv wrote:

That may be true, but I've never had a rabbit with hairball issues so I'm assuming the papaya tablets work, at least for me. :p
Yes I will be giving her the tablets, but I need to know....at what age do I start giving them to her?

Bren...aka BunnieLuva

BunnieLuva wrote:
majorv wrote:

Yes I will be giving her the tablets, but I need to know....at what age do I start giving them to her?

Bren...aka BunnieLuva

My rabbits lead happy lives and dont get Papaya tablets. It's really just a gimek for us Rabbit people to spend our money on stuff our bunnies don't need. Don't waste your money on it. They dont need it.

Just my 2 cents.

BunnieLuva wrote:
majorv wrote:

Bren...aka BunnieLuva

My rabbits lead happy lives and dont get Papaya tablets. It's really just a gimek for us Rabbit people to spend our money on stuff our bunnies don't need. Don't waste your money on it. They dont need it.

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks Rebecca, I'll just buy one bottle as a Bunny first aid kit item and if I ever see her start to have issues then I'll give her one...I always rather be safe than sorry :biggrin:

Bren...aka BunnieLuva

I was just going to suggest that you have some on hand because bunnies do go through stasis and having some papaya or pineapple on hand will help you get your bunny through it.

Sweetie went through mild GI stasis, I gave her freshly squeezed pineapple juice, she loved it, and it helped her through it. It actually breaks the blockage up.

Cute bunny by the way. I am also a neighbor of you, I am on the other side of the water.

Theres not really any data in that thread, unfortunately :(

I don't know if it does any good, but I'm sure it doesn't do any harm, and my lionhead has never had any GI problems so far. I started giving them to her at about, 8 months? It doesn't have an age anywhere I can find.

Yeah...like I said, I'll just keep a bottle in my Bunny First aid kit...it doesn't hurt to be safe :biggrin:

Thanks for everyone's help I really appreciate it!

Bren...aka BunnieLuva

Sweetie wrote:
I was just going to suggest that you have some on hand because bunnies do go through stasis and having some papaya or pineapple on hand will help you get your bunny through it.

Sweetie went through mild GI stasis, I gave her freshly squeezed pineapple juice, she loved it, and it helped her through it. It actually breaks the blockage up.

Cute bunny by the way. I am also a neighbor of you, I am on the other side of the water.
Yeah I'm going to keep a bottle in my Bunny First Aid Kit ;)

That's to cool that we're neighbors too...maybe we'll get to meet someday :D

Bren...aka BunnieLuva

Latest posts

Back