Creme D'argent

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apodiformes66

Reaction score
My bunny Peaches recently passed away after I got back from a 6-day vacation. I'm having a hard time coping without my friend and I'm trying to find an answer. About nine and a half months ago she lost her back leg after she broke it and I thought she was doing okay. I have pictures of her standing on her feet up to the 12th of January but then I broke my phone so I don't have any more pictures to comfort me. I don't understand what happened to her. She was about to turn 4. I noticed she was just starting not to eat and drink as much but it wasn't too concerning. I was having to give her lots of baths though because she was peeing where she lie. While I was gone she stopped moving eating and drinking. When I got home though she ate and drank if I babied her. We had 18 more hours together before she had what I think was a heart attack in my arms. I am heartbroken and having a hard time not blaming myself.

For those who have had a creme d'argent, how long did yours live?

Anyone been through this that knew what happened to their bunny?

I'm very sorry for your loss. It's hard to know what might have been wrong without more detailed symptoms to help pinpoint the cause, but it sounds like whatever the underlying problem was it caused her to go into gut stasis. I wish I could provide more information to give you peace of mind.

I'm very sorry for your loss. It's hard to know what might have been wrong without more detailed symptoms to help pinpoint the cause, but it sounds like whatever the underlying problem was it caused her to go into gut stasis. I wish I could provide more information to give you peace of mind.
I feel like an idiot for not taking her to the vet before i left. She had normal poops before i left and cleaned herself after her bath but she seemed disgruntled. She had been moving less and less over the last 6 weeks but i thought she was just having a hard time coping with the loss of her back leg. I put her on a diet when i was home and let her free feed when i was away for work this month. I feel like i killed her through neglect. 😢
My bunny Peaches recently passed away after I got back from a 6-day vacation. I'm having a hard time coping without my friend and I'm trying to find an answer. About nine and a half months ago she lost her back leg after she broke it and I thought she was doing okay. I have pictures of her standing on her feet up to the 12th of January but then I broke my phone so I don't have any more pictures to comfort me. I don't understand what happened to her. She was about to turn 4. I noticed she was just starting not to eat and drink as much but it wasn't too concerning. I was having to give her lots of baths though because she was peeing where she lie. While I was gone she stopped moving eating and drinking. When I got home though she ate and drank if I babied her. We had 18 more hours together before she had what I think was a heart attack in my arms. I am heartbroken and having a hard time not blaming myself.

For those who have had a creme d'argent, how long did yours live?

Anyone been through this that knew what happened to their bunny?

What happened is not your fault. Unfortunately, losing a rabbit after not realizing that something is seriously wrong happens to a lot of us. It happened to me too with my first rabbit, who was also 4 when he died from an unknown cause, and there is no way to know if something could have been done if you had gone to the vet. With rabbits, symptoms are really hard to notice and when small changes appear it often means the issue is quite serious already. That's the real problem with rabbits - as long as nothing is wrong, they can live very long lives but when something hurts or a problem becomes apparent, you often have very little time to react... if it's not already too late. I tend to be really paranoid and to take my rabbits to the vet as soon as I notice anything different from usual. I'd say about ten minutes after noticing. It's not always enough, but it saved a few of them, I think. It's really a different mindset than with most animals or with humans. Instinctively you wouldn't take an animal eating / moving / pooping less as the sign that an animal is possibly dying but with rabbits you have about 12h to react after the stasis set in. I personally find owning rabbits quite stressful because the slightest doubt about them eating / pooping less makes me worry, as does leaving them when I have to go on trips, and I watch them like a hawk everyday. But you know... that's rabbits for you.
I'm sure you did your best for Peaches and you clearly loved her very much. Even if it's hard to tell yourself that right now, in the end, it's all that matters.

Latest posts

Back