Building a new house

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skepace

Reaction score
Hello.
First post here. We are looking at adopting a pair of Holland Lops. But first I am going to repurpose an old computer hutch that is just storing DVD's and junk.
How much space should be between the different levels? I have a small built in one at the top but it is only 29 inches from the main level. I would like to add a level between them but didn't know if there is enough space. The hutch is 20.5 inches deep.

Thanks.

Roughly 12" is low enough for bunny to hop up to a next level. But you don't want the whole area to have just 12" clearance overhead. It's a good idea to have areas with high clearance so bunny can stretch all the way up.

Here's a sample of a cage that has about 14" clearance (bigger buns) between levels but you can see how there are areas that have much more than 14" overhead clearance. Half of the second level is open to the very top.

IM000411.jpg

On another note, 20" isn't very deep. How wide is it?

Cabinets can make alternative cages, but with these smaller cages, bunnies need much more out-of-cage time.

I'm going to attach another picture of a cabinet-type cage I made (from a kitchen oven cabinet). But with this size cage, I keep the cage door open all day long. It is opened first thing in the morning and not closed until about 11pm.

main cage with watermark.jpg

That is really cool. I'm planning to do something similar with a cabinet in the corner of our bonus room. It's supposed to be a wet bar but we don't use it so I'm going to take the doors off and add a shelf to sleep on. Hopefully it will be a space saver too.

Latest posts

Back