Hello! and question!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LazerFace

Reaction score
Hi!
i really want a rabbit and i have done all my research! so the last thing i could do was to sign up to a forum. i dont have any rabbits yet but i hope i will get one soon! i had a question that will decide weather or not i get a bunny: i go to school about 6 hours a day, and i was wondering, if i let my bunny out for an hour before school and then put it in the cage while i am at school, and then take it out again when im home, is that ok? or would that be "animal abuse"? i hope someone replies! thank you!

Welcome LazerFace!

That sounds fine to me- rabbits do need lots of time out of their cages (a good goal is 5 hours per day), but being locked up while you are at school is not a bad thing. My two are locked up when I'm at school (I'm gone ~12-14 hrs/day, but my roommate will let them out for me when he gets home). One suggestion I do have is to either make your own cage (what we did) so it can be very large and comfy, or use a dog kennel (L or XL) and an X pen around that (what lots of users here do). Keeping a rabbit in a cage when you are not home is a good idea for their safety (depending on the rabbit- both of mine will eat anything, so we need to at least kind of watch them :) ).

Most rabbits are crepuscular anyways, meaning they are awake in the dawn hours and evening hours- mine personally are up at 4:00 am (when I get up to let them out and start my own day!) until about 10, when they go to sleep. They wake up again about 6 and are awake until probably 12am (I, however, am not!! So they have to be caged for this part of their day). If you are in school during the middle of the day, the rabbit probably won't even notice. :)

Hi! It sounds ok to keep your bunny caged when you are gone during the day if the cage is big enough. The cage should be 12 square feet (1.1 square meters). My bunny prefers to rest most of the day & play at night, your bunny might do the same...

I never caged my rabbits as I chose to bunny-proof my room (when I got them, I was still living with my parents in a flat), but I don't think it's a huge problem if the cage is big. If you can , like RavenousDragon said, a pen attached to the cage or a cage built with modulable things to give him more space might be a good solution if you can't bunny-proof your entire room. But to be truthful, I now work at home so I can monitor my rabbits pretty closely and they are sleeping in their cardboard houses pretty much from noon to 5pm (more like 11am-5pm during the winter). They are the most active for one or two hours around 9am and from 6pm to 11pm. It depends on the weather and stuff too but that's generally like that. I went to uni during the day when I got Aki and leaving her still made me feel bad which is why I ended up getting her a husbunny. I don't know if it's because she lives with a friend but she never seems to care much when I leave. When I come back, they get out of their room (they've got their own, now ^^) like 'oh it's just you...' and get back to their business XD

Slight correction- cage should be AT LEAST 12 square feet. I have my 7 month old lionhead lop in a pen that is around 7x8, 56 square feet. You can see a little of it in the photo on the left...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back