Bunny fostering

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooke

Reaction score
Thanks, again, for your advice!! I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing!! I like the idea of fostering a bunny. That way, if the bunny gets stressed easily and I don't think it will handle the move well, at least I will have given that bunny a good home for a little while. What do you all think about fostering? Do you think it would be too stressful for a bunny to just be fostered? Does anyone have any ideas about organizations that allow you to foster bunnies? Again, I'm leaning more towards waiting until I move, but it might be nice to help out a bunny in the meantime, and maybe that bunny would end up not minding the move if he or she learns to trust me. What do you all think? Am I getting annoying yet?/images/emoticons/big_grin.gif

I think fostering is a great idea. Devon and Amber were fostered by someone else prior to me adopting them, and I think it was much better than if they had just been waiting in a shelter. Devon was actually born in that foster home (he is Amber's baby), and I imagine his wonderful personality is a result of his growing up in a home environment versus a shelter.

So... what I'm really trying to say is that even if you can't adopt your foster bunny, you have still given him/her a better life and have made him/her a better candidate for a permanent adoption.

P.S. You're not annoying at all :D I truly respect your thirst for information, and I am glad that you are asking the questions that you are.

bunnydude wrote:
P.S. You're not annoying at all :D I truly respect your thirst for information, and I am glad that you are asking the questions that you are.

Ditto!!! Most questions are asked after the fact.

~Jim

Hey Brooke -

It's so great that you are exploring all these possibilities theoretically first!

I think that fostering is a fantastic thing to do and is how many first-time fosterers find their perfect forever bun.

There may be one that you fall in love with and you're not taking a gamble and being pushed into a descion right away. In the mean time you're helping out loads of buns - it isn't just that they get to live with you till they get a forever home - it's that they're much more likely yo get that home if they can be socialized first.

I'm thinking of doing a similar thing. The other thing to look into is fostering mums and new litters - many shleters prefer for their babies to grow up in a home environment rather than in the noisy shelter and evidence seems to suggest that these rabbits are likely to find homes more quickly. A lot of shelters might like you to be quite experienced (by which I mean, have had a number of rabbits iver a long period of time with varied backgrounds) when embarking on this kind of thing however, I think your sense of responsibilty and your good heart are self evident.

If you feel it's right then go for it!

That's why Devon (the baby) and Amber (the mommy) were fostered. I think that Devon would have a very different personality if he had grown up in a shelter.

alfie and angel wrote:
The other thing to look into is fostering mums and new litters - many shleters prefer for their babies to grow up in a home environment rather than in the noisy shelter and evidence seems to suggest that these rabbits are likely to find homes more quickly.

Latest posts

Back