Need advice on some healing antiseptic salve that I could put near my bunny's eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I adopted my tiny little mini-lop Jacquesfrom a shelter in Ill. he had a runny left eye. I immediately took himto an experienced vet near Chicago where he had his tear duct flushed(some whitish discharge came out) and he was placed on Baytrol for 5days. It was thought to be mild pasturella in a rabbit that is reallyquite fragile. He was also placed on antibiotic eye drops for severalweeks. The problem did not occurfor several years. I am nowliving in Wi. and finally found a vet that had flushed tear ductsbefore. We have had his ducts flushed twice in about the last 3monthsand he has had eyedrops,oral antibiotics etc. but He stillhas a runny Right eye.Today I noted that the hair beneath therunny eye was all matted into a hard crusty mat so I gently loosened itwith warm water ..now I noticed that underneath where it was matted hisskin is red abd looks sore.Is there anything safe I could onthis. It is so close to his eye that I'm afraid that he will rub itinto it and make things worse..any ideas?

Saline is safe for the eye. Iszy has this problem as well.

Was this ever cultured? Baytril iseffective for the most common bacteria, but it seems to be prescribed alot without checking the bacteria species and it's sensitivity to thedrug. It could also be a tooth problem, such as if a root hasgrown too long. Has he had an x-ray?

Hi Lissa...I could use saline but toclean his eye ( I really should have been doing this along) but theskin underneath the mat is raw looking and I thought maybe somethingelse would be better at healing it. Naurestee...it was never culturedbut I just remembered something. The vet here used Chlorofloxicin notBaytrol for tx. My new vet (Lissa's vet also) I don't think does tearduct flushes but I know he would have prescribed Baytrol. Imay go back to the first vet, have her do a culture, and ask forBaytrol instead of Chlorofloxicin. What bothers me is that the firstvet is very expensive and in addition to the flushes (which arenotreally resolving it) she wants to do acupuncture. I don't mindacupuncture,howener one visit for this rabbit came to$400.00(he also had a back x-ray.( I think that visually histeeth have always looked good and he is my very best eater. I can'tafford to keep going back for ineffective flushes ...so maybe I'll justtell her I want a culture of his eye. What do you think?

I think getting it cultured would be a goodidea. That way you know if the antibiotics he's been gettingwork at all, or if you need to try something different. Iknow some animals just have chronic runny eyes with no bacteriapresent. This would show up in culture too. IsJacques bonded? If the tests come back negative, you mightwant to consider bonding him so the other rabbit can help him groomhimself.

:)I don't know why ththe first vetdidn't culture his eye.When she flushed the duct some milky lookingsubstance came out (sounds like a discharge). She did culture a patchof powdery looking flakey stuff on his skin because she thought itmight be ringworm (but nothing grew) I think they want to useantibiotics that are safe for rabbits and are less concerned if it isthe correct one...I don't know. ..anyway I can't take him in right nowbecause I can't afford it and he's definitely not in acute distress.Believe it or not he lives with the infamous Joey (Idon't know if youread the three week post on him after he got in a fight with one of myother bunnies) Joey andJacques are both neutered males thatcoincide peacefully together but are really not bonded. Neither one ofthem know how to groom each other..that's really sad..they are bothrescues who probably lived by themselves. Any way when I get the moneyI will have the discharge cultured and meanwhile just keep his eyeclean myself . Thanks Naturestee.

My vet I believe had me using polysporin eyeointment when my dwarf had a scratch in her third eyelid (in the cornerof her eye) and also recommended it in a pinch for a runny nose -- putit in the eye and it will help the nose. Have tocheck to see if its safe for to be 'groomed' off by another bun, though.

Also, black tea (actually, most teas, even regular orange peko) makes agreat bunny eye wash. Just make sure its not too warm(obviously), and refrigerate leftovers between washes.

SAS

SAS do you mean that you make a cup of tea justas if it was for yourself and then allow it to cool off or do you wet atea bag and place it onhis eye (probably not that)?

Just make the tea normally, let it cool, put it in a dropper bottle and voila. (Just no cream or sugar). ;)

And remember to put the bottlein the fridge between washings.

SAS

angieluv wrote:
SAS do you mean that you make a cup of tea just as if it was foryourself and then allow it to cool off or do you wet a tea bag andplace it onhis eye (probably not that)?

After I wrote the thing about putting the teabagon his eye I thought "G.. she will think that I'm an idiot" I thinkthat I was thinking about things that women do to take the puffinessout of their eyes. :laugh:anyway thank you so much from both Jacquesand I as tomorrow we will give his eye a little tea bath.

Latest posts

Back