Can rabbits "sense" anxiety in a person?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_Moby_

Reaction score
Last night I was sitting on the floor next to Moby, who was peacefully dozing a few feet in front of me. Then I experienced a wave of panic (I have a mild panic disorder - an initial rush of adrenaline will come over me, which can trigger a panic attack if I respond to that initial stimulus with fear; if I "float" through it without "fleeing", the sensation passes), which produced heart palpitations and a rush of anxiety. Then I noticed Moby, who had been asleep, was staring at me with wide eyes and he seemed very tense; but I don't know if I was just imagining things and projecting my own anxiety onto his natural bunny behavior.

I have done a bit of research online, most of which seems to imply that rabbits and other animals are sensitive to human emotions, but all the information is anecdotal.

Of course rabbits are sensitive to body posture and nonverbal communication, but can they sense inward emotions with no outward manifestation, such as a rush of anxiety?

The main reason I am curious about this, is that in the case of a crisis (god forbid!) with Moby, where I would have to rush him to the vet for whatever reason, I am worried the stress of the event would induce a panic attack in me; which, if he can sense anxiety (an extreme amount, during a panic attack), could possibly overwhelm him and make the situation far worse.

I know this is all conjecture, and in such a situation I would likely be fine (for the sake of Moby, whom I love). I am asking about this more out of curiosity than worry.

Do any of you have similar anecdotes to your rabbits "sensing" your emotions? Is there any scientific evidence that suggests rabbits can "sense" anxiety, or other emotions?

Thanks for reading! :)

Of course, as you mentionned, rabbits (like all animals) will notice a change in your body language which will make them go into alert mode - I think that's actually particularly true for rabbits who naturally live in warrens and take cues from each other regarding danger. So if your attitude is out of the ordinary, your rabbit will most probably react to it by fleeing or watching their surrounding closely. One of my rabbits was poorly recently so I took to observe the rabbits to make sure she was eating. Of course, I was pretty tense, and the simple fact that I was standing there and watching for longer than normal made both rabbits react and become agitated (I try not to go to their room too much when one of them is sick because my anxiety really doesn't help, I think). I also believe that, considering rabbits have very keen senses, our anxiety will be transmitted via natural responses. A dog can tell a lot on your mental and physical health by smelling you and it is proven that pheromones can have a deep impact on their behavior. Rabbits' senses are as keen as theirs are so I don't see why it wouldn't be the same for them. I don't think they analyze it really deeply though. It's more of a 'oh my god, something's not normal!' reaction in my experience.
About your worries, when your rabbit is suddenly sick (it's always sudden, and generally on a Sunday or at night when the vet is closed ^^') the owner will always be beside themselve with worry. Generally on the way to the vet, my hands shake so much I have trouble holding the petcarrier. The first time Aki went into stasis (almost two years ago, and she's still here ^^), I was sure she was going to die because she was shaking, not moving and I was holding back tears in the vet waiting room while petting her with hands that probably reeked of anxiety. So, she probably could tell I was really upset but she pulled through all the same :)

Speaking from my own experience, when I experience a big adrenal rush, my heart rate and breathing both increase in pace. I'm sure that a rabbit who is familiar with his or her human would pick up on that and could react to it.

I know when our rabbit suddenly became ill with a respiratory infection that I was besides myself with worry! It happens to a lot of owners I'm sure ...

it's possible rabbits can sense human emotions. Human emotions are chemical. That's why dogs can smell our fear. Since rabbits are prey animals it makes sense that they would be sensitive to fear smell in others, particularly their friends.

Animals can sense other things too. Some epileptics for example have animals who can sense when an epileptic fit is coming. The animal warns the person so they have time to prepare. Wouldn't it be cool if over time Moby could sense your panic attacks coming before they started?

I don't have any examples or anything concrete to add but wanted to show my support. Keep us posted.

I believe my buns can tell when I am sad. One time I cried very hard because my little bun was sick. My big bun was drinking water and when I started crying, she jumped out of her cage and stayed still and stared at me. And my little bun did the same thing... it was funny that none of them came close to me :rollseyes
they didn't move at all even after i stopped crying. i had to comfort them and apologize to them for scaring them... i feel like if one day i pass out, they will only stay far away from me and watch me and do nothing :rollseyes

You are right. My bunny sits on my chest and kisses me. But when my BP is high or I'm sad about my daughter, he stays on my chest longer, sits on my shoulder to kiss my ear, goes behind my neck, and sits on my hip with his head inside my arm, kissing. He tells me when he has to go potty. then throws his toys to make noise to be picked up again.

Latest posts

Back