Keeping rabbits cool in a hot house

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivythelionhead

Reaction score
I have a Fairly warm house especially in the summer and even if the thermostats turned down its still pretty warm and I do use a fan but it only helps so much so I was wondering if anyone had any summer tips to keep there rabbits cool, Iris is all black so it makes the heat hotter. :)

There are tons of tips about that if you make a quick search on the forum. Generally, it is advised to feed a lot of slightly damp leaves and to leave a cool place where the rabbit can rest - in my parents summer house, we have marble chimneys and my rabbits always spend the entire summer laying on the cool marble in front of them ^^. Stone works too. You can freeze a plastic bottle filled with water and put a towel around it (to avoid thermal choc) so your rabbit can lay against it. Of course, make sure Iris has fresh (not freezing! it would hurt her stomach) water to drink. If it gets really hot, you can wet her ears with some cold / tepid water as rabbits regulate their temperature with their ears.

I put inexpensive ceramic tiles in Chewy's hutch and he lays on them when he's too hot. He loves the tiles, and will lay on them before laying on a blanket. LOL

Flat stones and tiles are great, but they are even better when kept cool.

I built a box from styrofoam, sealed it on top with soft foam window insulation tape and put ice packs in it. Keeps the stone cool all day long.

Kühlung2.JPG

Kühlung3.JPG

Awesome idea! Will have to remember that for this summer possibly.

Latest posts

Back