I'm freaking out

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I know is that I have had 3 male rabbits neutered at the animal hospital I use and it is quite straight forward. They don't "castrate" them, it is more like a vasectomy; it takes less than an hour. However, when I said I wanted a female to be spayed, it was a much bigger deal. They have to take a blood sample - to see if she can undergo the operation, I have to fill in a form of consent for which I won't hold them responsible if she doesn't make it (not needed with the male rabbits), she has to be in overnight and lastly it is twice the cost. In the end, I decided against it. She had one litter when she was a few months old; she is almost 5 years old now and my 3 males are all neutred and she is fine.

Now that is interesting, I have never heard of a clinic not just straight up castrating a rabbit. Wouldn't the males still be hormonal afterwards? Not to mention the threat of testicular cancer is still a risk?

Not to mention when our rabbits are neutered, they're typically in and out of surgery in 10 minutes or so from what I understand, so it's not like it's a lengthy procedure.

Why would they not have you sign a consent form? Are they not actually putting the rabbits under for the operation?

Hi so Iris is still doing good, but I noticed on Tuesday night that she kept closing her eyes and crunching down to rest and before she would spread out, is this normal after a spay, is she in pain?

If everything else is normal, a slight change of position is nothing to worry about. Even if she's not really in pain, it's bound to still be a bit uncomfortable especially when pressing on it. I mean, people being operated for the appendicitis or whatever will feel it for at least a week so I doesn't seem weird to me that she's not back to 100% normal after 3-4 days. No infection and eating / pooping means that things are probably healing nicely, so I wouldn't be too concerned.
Do you have a post-op appointment? My vet does it, but some vet don't - I'll admit that I kinda like having the vet giving the 'all clear' statement even if it's a pain to make the trip again.

I don't have a follow up appointment and it's not really a big deal getting there my vet is super close, I'm feeling a lot better this morning looking at her and seeing her eat and drink and use her litre box and clean herself.

Iris is back to her old self again and even though I can't let her out for another week she's doing well eating, drinking,pooping, peeing and playing with her fav toys so I'm over the moon happy, thanx to everyone who helped me and gave me advice.

Now that is interesting, I have never heard of a clinic not just straight up castrating a rabbit. Wouldn't the males still be hormonal afterwards? Not to mention the threat of testicular cancer is still a risk?

Not to mention when our rabbits are neutered, they're typically in and out of surgery in 10 minutes or so from what I understand, so it's not like it's a lengthy procedure.

Why would they not have you sign a consent form? Are they not actually putting the rabbits under for the operation?
1. What happend with the (3) male rabbits - and this is going on what I observed after the operations) was that there was a "cross-shaped" incision on the inside of each testicle; note I said that the testicles were not removed. I had to take each male rabbit back after 1 week for a checkup - which was when I noticed that the testicles were still in situ. The doctor said that they (the testicles) would just gradually disappear - which is what they in fact did do after a few weeks.
2. The consent form was only for a female rabbit. As I said, I decided not to go through with having my female spayed - for the reasons stated, and the main reason is that I didn't want to risk losing her or her getting ill as a result of the operation. Look back at it now, I am happy with my decision not to go ahead with getting her spayed; she is happy and healthy and her partner is one of my (twin-brothers) neutered males. The other 2 neutered males (father and son - the other twin) live "next door" - divided by a small metal gate: reason being that -although they are neutered the twins fight if they are put directly together.

1. What happend with the (3) male rabbits - and this is going on what I observed after the operations) was that there was a "cross-shaped" incision on the inside of each testicle; note I said that the testicles were not removed. I had to take each male rabbit back after 1 week for a checkup - which was when I noticed that the testicles were still in situ. The doctor said that they (the testicles) would just gradually disappear - which is what they in fact did do after a few weeks. .

That means the testicles WERE removed. They dont lop off the scrotum with the testicles inside. They make a small incision and remove the testicles. The scrotum then ends up filling with fluid which would make it appear that the testicles are still there. This then all dissipates after a few weeks and the sack will shrink and vanish.
Your rabbits were neutered properly. The testicles were NOT left in the animals. It just does not work that way. Testicles dont magically vanish.

1. What happend with the (3) male rabbits - and this is going on what I observed after the operations) was that there was a "cross-shaped" incision on the inside of each testicle; note I said that the testicles were not removed. I had to take each male rabbit back after 1 week for a checkup - which was when I noticed that the testicles were still in situ. The doctor said that they (the testicles) would just gradually disappear - which is what they in fact did do after a few weeks.
2. The consent form was only for a female rabbit. As I said, I decided not to go through with having my female spayed - for the reasons stated, and the main reason is that I didn't want to risk losing her or her getting ill as a result of the operation. Look back at it now, I am happy with my decision not to go ahead with getting her spayed; she is happy and healthy and her partner is one of my (twin-brothers) neutered males. The other 2 neutered males (father and son - the other twin) live "next door" - divided by a small metal gate: reason being that -although they are neutered the twins fight if they are put directly together.

Like Watermelons said, what would have been left behind is the scrotum, not the testicle. They can look like there is still a testicle inside when they fill with fluid after but they will gradually disappear, so the testicle is gone.

What I meant is I was wondering why they would make you sign a consent form for the female but not the males. So then I was wondering if they weren't actually neutering the rabbits and doing "vasectomies" instead, if they weren't putting them under anesthetic, therefore not needing the consent form. But if they would neutered they had to be (Or at least hopefully were) knocked out, so it's just odd they wouldn't ask for a form. That's all I meant.

Like Watermelons said, what would have been left behind is the scrotum, not the testicle. They can look like there is still a testicle inside when they fill with fluid after but they will gradually disappear, so the testicle is gone.

What I meant is I was wondering why they would make you sign a consent form for the female but not the males. So then I was wondering if they weren't actually neutering the rabbits and doing "vasectomies" instead, if they weren't putting them under anesthetic, therefore not needing the consent form. But if they would neutered they had to be (Or at least hopefully were) knocked out, so it's just odd they wouldn't ask for a form. That's all I meant.
I'll leave you to sort it out with Watermelon; I need to move on.

That means the testicles WERE removed. They dont lop off the scrotum with the testicles inside. They make a small incision and remove the testicles. The scrotum then ends up filling with fluid which would make it appear that the testicles are still there. This then all dissipates after a few weeks and the sack will shrink and vanish.
Your rabbits were neutered properly. The testicles were NOT left in the animals. It just does not work that way. Testicles dont magically vanish.
Have you been a cc all your life?

Latest posts

Back