My babies are fighting!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, im new to this so sorry if I bother anyone, but I noticed how nice and helpful everyone is on here,

My partner and I have recently gotten two baby rabbits for Xmas, a beautiful New Zealand female~ Pickles and moody mister Skwisgaar, one of my question is would anyone be able to help me with his breed? He was brought from a pet shop for my partner so we are not sure., my second question is, as the heading suggests, they are now fighting when we take them out to play an interact with each other (under supervision of coarse as they are not spayed/neutered as of yet) since we first got them they were best of friends, caring for each other and playing quite normally, the last three times we have put them together though poor Pickles cops a beating off Skwisgaar, the first time we could not pull them apart in time and Pickles now has little chunks out of her back an small scratches on her ear, i was wondering is this simply hormones? What should I do? I cannot afford to get them spayed/neutered at the moment, will they have to stay separated?
Sorry for such a long winded question guys!! Hope I wasn't too boring or annoying with this probably obvious question, I'm a newbie haha :) ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1390241545.822987.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1390241629.506358.jpg

I wouldn't be too sure about breed questions unfortunately, but you might have better luck asking in the Rabbitry and Show Room. :)

If they've not yet been spayed/neutered and they're now starting to fight when together, it may be that Skwisgaar's hormones are kicking in. Unfortunately bonds that are forged between rabbits prior to hormones and spaying/neutering can have problems after one or both of the buns start to display hormonal behaviour (such as aggressive violence or humping). It's probably best to keep them separated until they can be spayed/neutered, and then work towards repairing their bond after their hormones have settled.

This is a common occurrence when rabbits mature and become hormonal. You will need to keep them separated until you are able to get them spayed/neutered, not only to prevent any fighting but also your female could become pregnant. Then you need to wait at least a month for the hormones to fade before you can attempt rebonding. You don't want any more fighting to occur as it can create permanent resentment and affect future bonding attempts. Hopefully you will be able to rebond them without too much trouble, but sometimes matured rabbits change and don't like each other anymore, so there is also the possibility that you won't be able to rebond and will need to keep them separate permanently. in the meantime, it would be good to read up on rabbit bonding so that you'll be able to approach it in the best way to increase your chances of success.

http://www.wheekwheekthump.com/2013...rs-guide-rabbit-bonding-everything-need-know/
http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/bond.shtml

You will also want to attend to those wounds. If they are deep, it would be a good idea to have a vet take a look at them. If they are superficial, then keep an eye on them for signs of infection. You could even put a very thin layer of plain Neosporin ointment(no pain reliever or other added ingredients)on them. You will probably need to distract your bun after putting it on so that it isn't immediately licked off.

Thank you, you confirmed my thoughts, just thought I'd double check from those with experience, I have attended to her wounds and they are healing quickly, they are still only quite young, around two months from what I got told when we got them, so hopefully they will be best friends again soon after their visit to the vet :) thank you for the link also

Latest posts

Back