Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jos3phswoman

Reaction score
We had a momma bunny have babies all died except one. We are new at this and we don’t know how to keep this one alive, we made it a nest box but not sure how warm it is and aside from sitting on top of the heating vent we don’t know what else to do. Help! We are trying to save it’s life! We love bunnies. O btw we do have another momma that just had babies but she won’t take it because of all the blood. I fed it with a dropper tonight and will do the same in the morning. Any advice is welcome!

O btw she started eating the others so we obviously have her away from the baby.

make sure you have warm fur to cover the baby. You can pluck it from mom. Give to mom twice a day. DO NOT put on top of a heating vent as you may end up cooking the baby. If mom was eating the dead babies she was just cleaning up (an effort to keep things clean and tidy and not attract predators)

If the other momma has babies close in age, remove the nestbox, put the new baby in, and return it to mom in an hour or two. All babies will smell the same by then. That will BY FAR be the easiest way to care for the newborn.

What ladysown said. Hand feeding yourself should be an absolute last resort as the aspiration risk is so great from doing it. I might still try and give the mom a chance unless she is showing aggression/trying to harm the baby. She will be the best one to raise the baby if at all possible. If not her, then fostering is the next best thing.

Now we have another issue the good momma peed all over her babies last night and 3 of them are dead, I haven’t been home yet today do to work but there was a few more that didn’t seemed like they weren’t going to make it. But she wouldn’t take the baby either.

Back