Is two bunnies too much for one bedroom?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_Moby_

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a second bunny. Right now I have one, who has free roam of my bedroom. I am home most of the time and he is very happy and bonded to me.

I know that a second bunny could upset this dynamic and cause behavior issues, at least for a while until they adjust. But is the space of a single bedroom too small for two bunnies (plus the length of a hallway)? I'm sure it would be fine if they bonded and got used to sharing the same space.

My concern would be temporarily housing two cages for the bonding process, which would make my room a little cramped. Should I just wait until I move?

One thing you need for bonding rabbits is neutral territory, which you would have plenty of when you move. So I’d wait if I were you. Are you moving soon or is that years away?

It would probably be at least a year away. I live in a house with three other roommates so there is not very much free space, unless I used someone elses room temporarily for neutral territory.

My main concern would be having to cage Moby while they adjusted to eachother. He has never been locked in his cage, and only ever goes in there to use his litter box. So it would feel like imprisonment ... I would feel so bad!

I lived with two rabbits in my room for years when I lived with my parents. I don't think the space was too small. The bonding process was done in the bathroom. I've done it twice and it went just fine. If you take an adult spayed female rabbit, it could be an easy bonding and you wouldn't have to cage anyone if it went well. Honestly, the two times I did it, the rabbits met in the neutral territory the first day I got the newbie (just make sure she comes from a forster family or a place where they quarantine), it went fine for like 15 minutes, I put them back together in the clean shared room with a pet carrier and that was that - I was mostly at home and in the room, so I could make sure they weren't fighting.
If you want a baby that you'll have to keep separate until spaying and healing before bonding, I would definitely wait until you get your own home. I did this once too and I probably wouldn't do it again (I got my own house since then, so no more problem, but I remember 3 very taxing months and a lot of regrets...
I was so relieved when I finally could proceed to the bonding that I felt like crying - it went just fine afterwards, though ^^).

I am thinking of getting a second bunny. Right now I have one, who has free roam of my bedroom. I am home most of the time and he is very happy and bonded to me.

I know that a second bunny could upset this dynamic and cause behavior issues, at least for a while until they adjust. But is the space of a single bedroom too small for two bunnies (plus the length of a hallway)? I'm sure it would be fine if they bonded and got used to sharing the same space.

My concern would be temporarily housing two cages for the bonding process, which would make my room a little cramped. Should I just wait until I move?

I've been asking the same question by self, and considering getting a second bunny during kindling season this spring. I always had single bunnies, but my Netherland seems depressed and destructive by herself. I keep my bunny in my office, and am worried about space and bonding.

Latest posts

Back