Is my bunny's poo normal?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynniek3

Reaction score
Hi,
I just sadly lost one of my furbabies yesterday, I'm thinking it was GI Stasis as her poo was abnormal. My other bunny appears fine with this new hay, more bouncy and energetic. Her poo looks different to what I've seen their poo to look like. She is 12 weeks old. Can anyone tell me if her poo looks normal?

Also, this oaten hay was brand new from the petshop yesterday. Is the colour of it a problem?

Thanks for any help! ♡

20180110_183827.jpg

The colour it's good it means your bunny getting alot of fiber which is great for the stomach. If the poop get small dark/black that's when it get bad and need to change the diet or go to the vet :3

Gi stasis means there is no poo at all. So if your rabbit was still pooping, it was probably not what killed her.
Yellow-ish poop is normal. It means there is a lot of hay in it. If they are kinda round, firm (but slightly crumbly when crushed), and a normal size, it's all fine.

When you say the poop was abnormal, how do you mean exactly? Just the color, and if so, what did the color look like exactly(tan, brown, dark brown, blackish, yellow, green)? It's hard to tell in the picture, but to me it looks like it might be a bright yellow color instead of the normal brownish/tan color, and if so that could indicate what the problem was. Also, was there any diarrhea, blood, or mucous/jelly substance?

It's possible the oat hay could have been a contributing factor. Are there a lot of seed heads in it? Any whitish or black spots, or weeds? What else do you feed besides the hay?

Sorry, to clarify.
The picture shows my current bunny Boba/her poo. Before the oaten hay, I was feeding them lucerne as I read that this is good for baby rabbits until 12 weeks. It was hard to tell which bunny the poo came from, but the poos that were scattered were very small, dark almost black, and some were moist/could be smeared. Their poo only looked like this for less than 24 hours. My bunny who passed, Taro, was energetic and eating fresh vegies well in the morning that she passed. When I came home from work she was laying on her side, her whole body flaccid, and having whole body spasms every 10-15 minutes until she left me about 3 hours after I had discovered her. She was trying so hard to lift her head but couldnt, and her eye blinks were slow. She wouldn't eat or drink any water I put near/in her mouth.
Their diet consists of hay (Taro only ever had lucerne as she was 11.5 weeks. Boba has been on Oaten for 2 days and since then her poo has changed from the tiny dark pellets described, to the pellets pictured above - dry, similiar colour to the hay, and crumble if squashed). I also feed them romaine lettuce, a cup between the two in the morning, and a cup in the evening. They also like parsley, sometimes corriander/cilantro, and I give them 2 carrot sticks once every 10-14 days.

The oaten hay doesnt have very many seed heads, no spots, no weeds that I can tell.

Ok, I thought you were asking about the droppings of the rabbit you lost, and I was concerned as bright yellow droppings could indicate an e. coli infection. But since this is from your healthy rabbit and the droppings are straw colored, that will just be from the indigestible fiber from the hay and is perfectly normal. The change in your rabbits poop is actually a good thing as it means improved gut motility, which is important for rabbits. Small dark droppings are usually not a good thing.

Like Aki said, stasis is when the droppings stop, or at least are getting smaller right before stopping. Changes in droppings can help pinpoint certain digestive illnesses, but without having seen what the droppings looked like or more details, it's difficult to say what might have been going on, but I'm very sorry that you lost your bun.

One thing you didn't mention is if you are feeding rabbit food pellets. They aren't necessarily needed, but if you aren't feeding them, then you will probably need to add some protein back into your buns diet as oat hay is very low in protein, and you still have a young growing bunny. So I would either add an alfalfa/lucerne based pellet or add some alfalfa hay back into the diet. That oat hay is good for it's indigestible fiber to increase gut movement, but not so much for nutrients.

Thanks for your feedback! I bought this pellet mix when I first got them but had just read some people say that some pellet mixes can be bad for bunnies so I haven't opened it yet. Are the ingredients and nutritional value of the one I pictured okay for her? I don't want her to leave me too.. how much should I feed her each day? And until she is how old?

20180111_185447.jpg

I go after this info about pellet:
Protein: 12-15%
Calcium: 0,4-0,8%
Fiber (it can never be too much) : 16%+
phosphorus: 0,22-0,5%
Fat: 1,5-3%
magnesium: 0,3 %
Sodium (salt): 0,2 %

You should skip mixed pellets because rabbits pick what they think are good.

When I feed my rabbit I went after how his poop looked like, The Breeder told me unlimited until he stopped growing but his stomach went bad and I stopped giving my rabbit unlimited already on the second day. My rabbit can only eat one tabelspoon of pellet for a whole day but he’s tiny (15 oz). The bigger the rabbit it’s the more pellet they can handle.

Best to test a little start with one or two tabelspoon and see if the droppings stay the same and find the balance where you give pellet and the droppings stay good. Some can handle more than others.

Latest posts

Back