Helpget them back in there cage?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucy/Thumper

Reaction score
Can you all give me some ideas of how to getThumper back in his cage after I let him out? He doesn't liketo be picked up at all. And he HATES to be traped in hiscage. He is out more than he is in but sometimes he justreally has to be in his cage.

When you put him in his cage do you give him atreat, like a carrot. Making cage time enjoyable can ease both of yourtensions. Charlotte

Hi Lucy,

My Tucker was the same way. It's really easy to train them.

When he's been out and about for awhile, I really don't treat him much.Too many treats for rabbits are bad anyway. When it's time for me toput him in his cage, I go into the cookie jar that I keep his food in.Once he hears it open, those ears pop up wherever he is. I call hisname and close the lid. I walk over to his cage and put it on his bed(because he spills any food in a container). He hops right up into hiscage and dives at that food like it's his last supper.

Works Every Time! Good Luck. (ALWAYS put his food in his cage and don'toverfeed him so that he'll want that bedtime snack.) :)

-Carolyn

P.S. His 'bedtime snack' is his rabbit pellets...not carrots or atreat. I try to stay away from veggies and treats as much as possible.He gets just as excited about the rabbit pellets as he does a 'treat'.

Thanks for the replys so far. The top ofmy cage doesn't come off. I will cut back on the "treats" andsee if that helps.

Caroyn-You seem really knowledgeable about rabbits. Have you had them for a long time?

Hello Lucy,

I understand. I let Cappuccino out and she doesn't want to go backeither. I use a large metal dog kennel for her. The nice thing aboutthis is that it doesn't have a grated bottom and it's fairly easy toclean out for someone who has a bad back. I can pull the tray out andsweep it and then put fresh food in and a few of Cappi's favoritegoodies while she is running about. The food generally draws her backinto the cage and when she enters I close and lock the door.

I've also found some toys she likes that will get her to go back into her cage like the birch rings from busy bunny.

Rhonda

We do the treat thing to to get ours back in. Whenit is time we start saying who wants a rot-rot aka carrot and they allgo to the cages for a slice. I really hate to lock them upbut it is for their safety when I am not home.

Hi Bunty,

A 'rot-rot'. That's adorable! :dude:

-Carolyn

Thanks Lucy,

Nope, haven't had them forever, just a few years, but I've put a lot ofstudying and time into learning as much as I can in these past fewyears. Between reading the internet websites, books, and talking onforums like this, and my own experiences, that's how I pull from my wayof making things work with my rabbit.

I had lost my second rabbit to a respirtory illness, and when you dealwith something like that, you tend to get a crash course in what worksand what doesn't. Probably my two biggest teachers were Pamnock andBuckJones, whom we are fortunate to have frequent this board.

I learn everyday through stories that people tell about their rabbits,the questions they ask, and the love and lifestyles of rabbits. It's ahobby/obsession for me these rabbits!

Keep us posted on your progress! Someone undoubtedly always gives fresh perspective.

-Carolyn

Jess doesn't run away from us generally, but ifshe's being a pain, all we really have to do is grab a piece of hay andstick it in front of her nose, she'll follow it right in!

They also know what pell-pells are and papa akapapaya and they drink out of bot-bots I really have my guys spoiled forreal but in all honesty I do talk to them all the time and mybunty-wunty knows when I am not feeling well and will lay her littlehead on my neck and stay with me for hours

Latest posts

Back