Too young to sell by Easter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angel88

Reaction score
My mom wanted to breed our rabbits so we would have kits to sell for Easter but looking at the calendar now, I think she's messed it up.

The kits are only now a week old today. So by Easter Sunday they'll only be 6 weeks right? Isn't that too young for them to be sold? I've read they have to be at least 8 weeks....

I need some input from more experienced breeders. If I'm going to have to put my foot down, I want to have evidence to back my argument up.

We had trouble last year finding homes for a large batch last year and I think that's put pressure on her, but I won't risk the kits' lives. We're NOT a bunny farm - we breed as a hobby to sell as pets and 4H. If I have to forcefully remind her of that, I will. But I want to make sure my information is correct first before I go in guns blazing.

So, can baby bunnies be sold at 6 weeks? The rule I've usually gone by is that they have to be eating and drinking for at least a week before we sell them...if this happens by 6 weeks is it ok? Or is 8 the absolute minimum?

In many places it isnt even LEGAL to sell before 8weeks of age. Many good breeders wait until the kits are 10-12 weeks old before selling. So for legal reasons alone you should not be selling them at that age.
It is better for the health of the kits to wait until they are older.

You should not be selling rabbits for easter anyway. That is one of the worst things anyone can do. Rabbits should NEVER be sold around easter time.

if you live in the United States, you can't sell them until they are 8 weeks old ... as far as I know that's the standard in all the states. You'd have to check the laws.

I agree. For health reasons, rabbits aren't to be sold before 8 weeks in France either and are often kept around 10 weeks by breeders - by weaning too early, you're risking enteritis which can kill the kits. The milk also contains 'learning pheromons' which is important for the rabbit to develop themselves normally in a psychological sense.
And breeding for easter is not the best idea. I'm a bit confused by the idea that your mother breed as a hobby (so, for pleasure) and that she feels so pressured to get rid of the kits that she would plan to sell them for Easter (like Christmas, the animals sold this time of the year are the ones who end up in shelter the most) or even not correctly weaned. I would suggest finding homes before breeding or being prepared to keep any unsold kit for next time, that's what good breeders do.
About Easter and bunnies :
http://rabbit.org/category/easter/

Understood. Thanks so much for the replies. Aki, that link was really helpful and enlightening. Honestly, all we'd really been thinking is it would be fun to have Easter babies - though in our defense we ALWAYS tell the people we sell to that if they ever change their mind and decide they don't want to keep the rabbit then we will take it back.

I looked around and as far as I could tell our state doesn't have a minimum age for rabbits, but the fact that there ARE such laws in other states tells me a lot.

I'll talk to my mom. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back