Newborn Baby Bunnies Itching Like Mad???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newrabbitowner93

Reaction score
Hi all, I just have a question for those of you who are more knowledgable about this than I am... I am worried because the breeder I am picking up my bunny from just posted a video on Instagram and the whole litter of kits were itching like mad (or seemed to be). I got concerned and asked the breeder, and she said it is because they recently opened their eyes so the light is bothering them and they want to itch at their eyes. I'm just worried that it might be mites or something and I fear for the health of my baby bun whom I have not picked up yet. What could it be?? Is this normal??

Here is the video for reference:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSC1My9j5cK/?taken-by=bunnyrabbitry

They are sooo cute! Not useful, I know ^^. Their fur is growing, which might make them itchy too, especially spending all their time in hay (when animals moult, they all scratch too - I got used to it with my rabbits but when it happened to my puppy I thought he had flees... he just had lots of fur).
So, they look normal to me. Me too, I always take a new animal to the vet soon after taking them home (and quarantine if you have other animals in the house) because I'm really paranoid and tend to imagine problems until everything is checked. If you don't have a regular rabbit savvy vet already, it's also a good opportunity to check the sex of the rabbit, of discussing spaying / neutering and of assessing the vet's knowledge. I'd rather know if the vet see rabbits often, knows that gas is better for anesthesia and knows how to use Reglan when the bunny is healthy than discover I've got no one competent to call when I'm panicking having a health emergency on my hand... time is key to cure a sick rabbit and the window to settle the matter is often less than 48h.
But maybe that's just me ^^

Latest posts

Back