I sat on Buggs!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blwinteler

Reaction score
I was easing onto the floor when he got under me. I heard a crack. I was sure I broke his back and painfully killed my new little love. I rushed him to the vet. His lower teeth broke. They did an x-ray. His jaw broke where the abscess I posted about before had weakened it. I feel horrible. This happened last Friday. I've been feeding him a pellet mush with added fiber, per vet instruction. He has antibiotics and pain meds. I put a tiny bit of strawberry and banana in his mush. He acts like he doesn't even know he's broken. I think he just thinks he's spoiled with special food, he gets so excited! His behavior has not changed, though he was standoffish for a day or two. The cage he shares with Groucho has a divider, so they can be separate but together. They snuggle through the bars. He is pooping and peeing fine. We go back to the vet in a couple weeks. I still feel terrible, though. At least I'm slow getting on the floor. If I'd plopped onto him, he'd be gone. I know accidents happen, but I cry every day thinking about how I hurt my baby.

:cry4:

:( Poor kiddo! Our pets have all had their share of human induced injuries as well unfortunately. It sounds like his pain meds are working well and you are doing all the right things!

Once my boyfriend dropped our Brandy (she was not quite so well behaved back then and squirmed her way out of his hands) while I was in class and the way he was describing her behavior (not moving, just laying there, not eating) it sounded like she broke her back! So I rushed to the ER vet on my bike and he rushed her there (he was in tears when I met him). Turns out, she pulled a muscle and was fine after a few days of pain meds and extra cuddles!

some rabbits love being underfoot. I almost stepped on Tybalt too many times to count. I became really paranoid with this, shuffling when I walk in the rabbits' room and looking behind me before moving - they don't make a sound when they hop around so you never hear them coming! Tybalt also loves to hop inside cupboards when you open them, or just sticking his heard inside of things and if you're not careful, you could hurt him or trap him without noticing anything. Like the others said, it could have happened to anyone. There are posts about that kind of accident regularly on this forum.
I hope he gets better soon!

He has not learned, but I have. Yesterday, he almost got under me again. But I heard his little feet getting close, so I didn't sit down until I had picked him up and knew he was out of the way. He's eating his mush well and is still his usual self. I know he does hurt a little because he was trying to rattle the cage door, a habit of his, and kept trying different positions until he finally gave up.

He is healing well. He had his vet follow-up yesterday and he was such a good boy. He's allowed to eat hay and such now, and he sure loves it. I still give him mush with his antibiotics. He asks for it more often, but he's eating regular food fine and doesn't need it. He just thinks he's spoiled. He is the happiest little bun and loves to do binkies. I swear he leapt 3 feet up on Wednesday. He got a TON of attention that day, as we visited my niece's second graders and two other second grade classes. He adores attention. We go back to the vet for x-rays on May 5th. I want to get him a tiny Sombrero for the occasion lol.

Iris always gets in my way especially when I'm walking down the stairs and I've almost accidentally kicked her a few times. Sounds like your bunny is doing well.

Latest posts

Back