Too much Sub q fluids?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanya_v

Reaction score
My holland lop bunny was getting 50cc fluids by vet's recommendations. Yesterday he didn't pee and the vet said to give an extra 50. After I gave him another sub q today I noticed the fluids have not absorbed after 6 hours. It is possible I gave him slightly more because it was a new bag and it's hard to know the right amount. How bad it is?:confused:
It is my first bunny, he is very sick, and I am fricking out.

Where is the fluid sitting? My concern when you say that is perhaps it went in the wrong spot. Typically when animals receive extra SubQ fluids, gravity does its thing and the fluids may make it look like they have puffy feet. It doesnt typically stay up top for too too long.

Where is the fluid sitting? My concern when you say that is perhaps it went in the wrong spot. Typically when animals receive extra SubQ fluids, gravity does its thing and the fluids may make it look like they have puffy feet. It doesnt typically stay up top for too too long.

Around his tummy mostly. A bit to one side.

I wouldnt worry too much then. It will eventually absorb. Has he peed yet?

Yes. A few times. He is very sick. GI stasis, diarrhea, ear infection. I refused to put him down and now I am thinking if I did the right thing. He gets better for a little bit, then turns to the worse, then again small improvement and gets worse even more. He had a great appetite a few hours ago and now he is not moving and cannot jump:bigtears:

As long as he is peeing well, it's hard to give too much subQ fluids. It's very hard to tell when it's right to put an animal down and when it is not and I'm so sorry to hear he's not doing well right now. It may pass and he may get better- it may not. I wish there were a better answer for you. . .

Please let us know how he is doing tomorrow- if there is anything we can do to help let us know.

As long as he is peeing well, it's hard to give too much subQ fluids. It's very hard to tell when it's right to put an animal down and when it is not and I'm so sorry to hear he's not doing well right now. It may pass and he may get better- it may not. I wish there were a better answer for you. . .

Please let us know how he is doing tomorrow- if there is anything we can do to help let us know.

Thank you.

Our rabbit once got sub q fluids (for symptoms similar to your case) and it all just pooled under her tummy, creating a big bulge. We had to go to the vet to get it drained, but it killed the skin in that area and made a big scar/scab. While it looked bad, it healed fine in a couple weeks and she recovered. Here's hoping to a speedy recovery for your bun too!

Latest posts

Back