Continental German Giant aka Conti

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baracuda56

"Love My Buns"
Reaction score
Hi all by chance do anyone have a Conitnental German Giant aka Conti also known as one of the worlds largest rabbits, if you do could you please share pics and alittle info about your bun. We just got out of our Flemish Giants and are getting our first Conti in 2 weeks and are very thrilled and cant wait till shes flow in. Shes comming from a breeder in Whashington called Cascade Continentals, shes a Fawn/Yellow color doe and comes with a 6 gen pedigree and will be flow via United airlines pet safe air travel. We will be taking pics from the airport as we pick her up and once we get her home and settles in.
Her name is "Queen Sheba" she was the second largest doe in the litter we picked her due in part to her sweet gentle personality. Once shes old enough which will be come March as they need to be bred befour 12months old between 8 and 10 months is best so we are shooting for the 10 month mark once March gets here she will be bred to a Flemish Giant breeder friend of ours massive Flemish Fawn buck to get F1 Conti x Flemish babies, sufice to say we will have our hands full with many babies come spring. We are so excited we hope these next 2 weeks zoom by.. The breeder has kept me posted with pics of our baby girl since she was very tiny up till now and wow did she grow fast.

If anyone has any to share please do..

A member on here, kmaben, has one named Kai. He was so sweet I got to help her with handling him. She has her hands full with two babies now so she doesn't get on here anymore I think.

I am well aware of the many mishaps an deaths of flying pets, other animals and such and have seen that add about that Conti's death befour. the thing is look how far that rabbit was being flown, how many stops/layovers did it have, was the seller of such rabbit sending the rabbit in a proper airline carrier with food and water and instructions on care for the rabbit? No one knows What was the temp durring that time when flown these giant rabbits can not handle heat at all and will die quickly when over heated in a cargo area. I have had very expensive dog flown to me thru Northwestern airlines, also a expensive exotic cat and reptiles thru Delta airlines thing is each has to be flown when temps are just right for each type animal and food and water provided but some animals need to go without food so as not to upset there stomachs/GI tracks like reptiles and such. There are plenty of other ways of transport via folks whom due ground transport but alot of them only go by the way there traveling and sometimes you have to meet up with them at one of there stops where there going and sometimes your pet can be on the road for a week or more durring there travel which can really stress your pet even though there carring for it, you dont know how well there carring for your pet and do more harm than good. Im not saying i totaly trust the airlines which i dont but this is the fastest way to get her to me and we are flying at a time when temps are cooler not freezing cold but not hot nither. Shes going to be provided with the correct pet airline safe travel carrier with water and food and insutructions. We will we be tracking her all the way. This breeder just shipped 2 Conti's from Washington to New York same way thru United Pet Safe Airlines a few weeks ago and they made it safe and sound. Hubby and i will be at airport early for the plane arival and i will be taking pics with my cam as we pick up her carrier hubby will open it and check her and we will take pics of that and also switch her over to a fresh clean travel carrier that i will bring with fresh water and food and straw for the trip home which is only 40 mins down the road from the airport. If she dont look right or act right or feel like shes lost weight or dehydrated in anyway we will get her to the vets.

I want to thank all of you for your concern and worriies im glad you are all thinking of my babies welfare thank you....:hug2:

These are some pics of my Conti baby girl that will be comming home pics were taken as shes growing up befour comming home. alot of the stuff the breeder sent me were vids and other pics these were the best so far. I already have her 6 gen Pedigree and a contract/grauntee that states if any serious health problems arise befour she turns 7 mo. old and is seen by a vet and i have vet statement stating its serious to her health/life, she will give me all my money back that i spent on her. The breeder says that when she walks in the barn Q Sheba comes hopping right up to her to be picked up and is the sweetest bun.

Meet "Queen Sheba" and yes we picked out her name not the breeder.

baby queen sheba.jpg

queen sheba and mom.jpg

queen sheba and mom B.jpg

Q sheba.jpg

queen sheba growing bigger.jpg

getting bigger and very sweet.jpg

:inlove: oh my gosh! Ok that baby is so cute that I am melting. Plus the mom looks like my girl, Harvey. I looked up the breeder where you are buying her from and they are just over in Oso! That isn't far from me at all. I'd love to go for a tour and see the rabbits there. Congrats!!! Your new baby couldn't be cuter!! Lots of pix please when you get her. She's just too adorable:inlove:

Well recived some news on our baby girl plus pics, the first thing was that Queen Sheba's one ear has somewhat flopped over and that the breeder was atleast honest enough to tell us befour shipping Sheba to us incase we didn't want to go thru with the purchase. Queen Sheba is our breeding stock Doe even though shes also going to be our family pet BUT the fact that she has a weak ear base could show up in her litters later on when bred that is something we don't want to happen. Come to find out while discussing this whole matter with the breeder there were a few babies that ended up with floppy ears in the same litter, some more broken than others. Sheba's ear may stand more later on as she gets older but from what i can see in the ear base there is a slight kink where the cartiladge is thats weak and or potentialy broken that will never get stronger and help the heavy ear to stand properly.

Secondly we are very sad right now as to this whole mess, we have desided to have the breeder put Sheba in a cage away from all other rabbits with space and give her vitamins and better quality food for the next 4 weeks to see if this will improve the flop ear or not. If not we will stop the purchase and send Sheba's pedigree and contract back and get full refund. Will later on come spring find another breeder which we have already lined up and purchase a doe from that breeder. Now to almost most of you its ok for a rabbit to have a floppy ear no biggy but to a breeder of top quality babies with healthy genetics its in our best intrest to not get her and breed her. We will keep this post updated as time goes by. This has been some very upsetting news to us since we have gone thru pre birth to almost now 12weeks baby with this breeder, these rabbits are not cheap to purchase. We are just happy we ended up with a honest breeder insted of one that could have taken our money and sent us a rabbit with flaws and or health issues without telling us.

Here are Q. Sheba's updated pics, she has grown ALOT since the last pics and is going to be a very big girl. Continental Giants are known for there HUGE ears and body size, good disposition and loving personality.

flop ear sheba.jpg

sheba now almost 12 weeks old A.jpg

shebas flop ear not good almost 12 weeks old.jpg

shebas huge ears almost 12 wks.jpg

So sorry for your disappointment. I would take Sheba in a heartbeat, if I knew Harvey would be ok with it. She's adorable and would make an ideal pet. I can just imagine those giant binkies with that one floppy ear! Adorable!! I wish I could take her!

OK we have desided to take Sheba she will be flown in from Whasington, just waitting on a flight schedual from the breeder. If her ear dont get any stronger it can be a genetic weakness that can show up in future litters if and when we deside to breed her. The breeder is paying for the flight since we paid such a big amount for Sheba and she just wants Sheba to go to a loving home with us after all these weeks of waitting and watching her grow. So when we have the schedual for flight day i will post up pics of us picking her up and her comming home.

This is our first Continental German Giant rabbit.
She is due to be bred in March to a HUGE 19 pound Flemish Giant buck so that we have F1 babies Conti x Flemish.

She's really cute, but I'm kinda curious about how much you paid for her. You mentionned twice paying a lot for her and in France, rabbits cost next to nothing. Especially giant breeds. I could get a very good doe from titled parents for around 50$. Maybe it's because rabbits are still not very highly considered as pets and that most people buying big breeds would do it for the meat but rabbits are really cheap here (that's part of the problem with the follow up - most people don't understand why they would pay 100 euros at the vet when they can get a new rabbit for 5).

She's really cute, but I'm kinda curious about how much you paid for her. You mentionned twice paying a lot for her and in France, rabbits cost next to nothing. Especially giant breeds. I could get a very good doe from titled parents for around 50$. Maybe it's because rabbits are still not very highly considered as pets and that most people buying big breeds would do it for the meat but rabbits are really cheap here (that's part of the problem with the follow up - most people don't understand why they would pay 100 euros at the vet when they can get a new rabbit for 5).

Hi Aki, over where you are the giant breeds are more cheaper but here in US the continental German Giant is still relitively new theres not alot of them out there per say there is several good breeders and over here we have certain color standrads and stuff where as where you are color dont seem to matter much from what i understand. There is a breeder in the states here that has many imports she gets flown it and its not cheap to do so. Our bun ran us $300.oo plus $140.oo for shipping not cheap for those of us on a low fixed income. And the reason why someone would pay so much money at a vet for there services for the rabbit is because they love there rabbit as if it was a member of the family, you cant just toss the bun to the side and say HEY i think today i will get another rabbit and get rid of this one insted of paying such a high vet bill. Over here Conti's go for up to $400.oo or more depending on who the breeder is and the quality of the rabbit. The Conti we are getting was not only going to be a family pet but our breeding stock doe but cant take the chance of her having any genetic problems that could possibly pass on to her offspring like the weakness in the ear shaft this may or may not pass on to the offspring once we breed her, we are hoping by breeding her to a top selected healthy Flemish Giant buck with great ear cartilage that her F1 offspring will have strong ear bases and not end up with floppy ear. One can only hope for the best and if her offspring do show signs of weakness then she will be fixed and no longer be a breeder and her babies given away as pets only not breeders.

Hi Aki, over where you are the giant breeds are more cheaper but here in US the continental German Giant is still relitively new theres not alot of them out there per say there is several good breeders and over here we have certain color standrads and stuff where as where you are color dont seem to matter much from what i understand. There is a breeder in the states here that has many imports she gets flown it and its not cheap to do so. Our bun ran us $300.oo plus $140.oo for shipping not cheap for those of us on a low fixed income. And the reason why someone would pay so much money at a vet for there services for the rabbit is because they love there rabbit as if it was a member of the family, you cant just toss the bun to the side and say HEY i think today i will get another rabbit and get rid of this one insted of paying such a high vet bill. Over here Conti's go for up to $400.oo or more depending on who the breeder is and the quality of the rabbit. The Conti we are getting was not only going to be a family pet but our breeding stock doe but cant take the chance of her having any genetic problems that could possibly pass on to her offspring like the weakness in the ear shaft this may or may not pass on to the offspring once we breed her, we are hoping by breeding her to a top selected healthy Flemish Giant buck with great ear cartilage that her F1 offspring will have strong ear bases and not end up with floppy ear. One can only hope for the best and if her offspring do show signs of weakness then she will be fixed and no longer be a breeder and her babies given away as pets only not breeders.

I wasn't asking about paying for the vet, of course - I don't even want to know how much I paid in vet bills for Aki during the past 8 years (a lot more than 400$, that's for sure ^^'). I was only curious about the price of the rabbits. 400$ for a Conti is unheard of in France, but if they are more rare where you are that make sense. Here, they are also cheaper than say a Netherland dwarf because they make bigger litters (like you would pay less for a Newfoundland than for a chihuahua considering you get like 12 babies out of a litter for one and only one or two for the second). Also, everything related to animals sound a lot more expensive in the US, from vet bills to the price of any animal - I'm also on a German Shepherd forum and I regularly see people paying 3000$ and more for a dog whereas you can get a very solid puppy with a great pedigree for half that price in France.

:weee::wiggle YIPPY!! Our flight schedual is for Friday Oct 20th flight #4529 shes due to arrive at 4:48pm at Cherry Capitol Airport which is 30 mins from here and we will be at the airport at 4pm so we can watch for her plane to arrive i want to take pics of the plane comming in if i can see it out there windows, we will have time to grab a bite to eat as well befour she comes in a quick sandwhich and drink, it will take another 30 mins for processing her thru for us to pick her up im gona snap pics of everything i can if they dont take my cam away airports are funny about stuff like that they think it can be used as a weapon these days...:rollseyes We are also going to the vet to pick up womrer and are going to worm everyone both the dwarf rabbits and Queen Sheba since i dont think the breeder wormed her and the little dwarf polish rescue has not been cared for properly nither so all rabbits are getting wormed the same day. We are so excited have been waitting for her to come home for over 12 weeks now we have watch her grow since she was born. Wow has time flown by quickly spring and summer came and went and now fall is quickly going by soon we will have that funky white stuff on the ground again, phooooooooooooy.... Snow is pretty but thats as far as it goes with me i hibernate in winter LOL!!

Latest pic of Q. Sheba she loves being held and cuddled. Shes getting bigger.

sheba getting big loves hugs.jpg

The long wait is finaly over! YIPPY!! :weee::weee: Sheba was put on a plane few hrs ago and will make one stop layover in Chicago then back on to our airport Cherry Capitol Airport Traverse City, MI which is only 30 mins down the road from us we will be there at 4pm her flight #4529 is due to arrive at 4:48pm im gona try and snap some pics of her plane comming in if i can from there windows. After waitting 12 long weeks its finaly over and she will be home her finaly weight befour she was put in the travel crate was 9 pounds :woohoo which means shes going to be a very big girl, just like she should be by the time shes 6 mons old she should be way up there in weight, they say these rabbits can take up to 2 yrs to reach full size. We are hoping she makes the 22 to 25lb plus mark by then. Shes gona be daddys big girl hubby is so excited he didnt sleep much last night nither did i but he also had to do his MS shot last night which also makes him alittle sicky for 2 days. Her comming home takes his mind of being sicky.

Heres few pics of her befour and then her in the travel crate, the door has the food and water. The layover there supose to make sure she has water at that time. Lets hope everything goes smoothly.
I will post more pics once we are home with her and get her settled in we should be home no later than 6pm.

sheba befour comming home A.jpg

sheba a few weeks ago first week Oct.jpg

sheba getting ready to fly.jpg

Home sweet home for Q. Sheba. Tried to get pics of the plane comming in but couldnt get past security to get to the windows i needed to take the pics from due in part we were not passangers getting on a plane the guard told us we needed a gate pass and United said they dont give out gate passes so that was alittle upsetting, when i talked to the guard again he said something about a spot outside where i might be able to get pics and just as i was walking back past the ticket ounter for United airlines i saw a woman with a travel crate and it was Q. Shebas and her plane had already landed and she was now ready for check out/pick up at the counter. I grabed a few pics one of her there and then one after we put her in the car and then again once we got home. I also snapped a quick pic of the past peak fall colors on the road trip to the airport. So pics are as fallows , fall colors, counter check out, in the car ready to go home poor girl was crammed in that crate and then happy hubby with our new conti baby girl shes only 12 weeks old looky them big back feets.. Shes alittle scared but shes eating hay and pellets and drinking her water all good signs. Will take her awhile to adjust but she will get use to everything. We are just happy she made the flight ok.

DSCF4511.JPG

DSCF4513.JPG

DSCF4516.JPG

DSCF4517.JPG

Latest posts

Back