Rabbit of the Month is ?
Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Nutrition and Behavior > Starting to actually hate my bunny.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:28 AM   #11
funnybunnymummy
Retired Moderator

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Aw, sorry to hear you're going through this.

I missed how much time she gets out of her cage? Is it all day or just a few hours? And what time of day is it? I find Gus is much naughtier in the evenings than in the mornings or afternoons. Also, as someone mentioned upthread, sometimesmore time out of her cage is actually better than less. Give her time to expend some of that pent up energy!

However, you may want to look into some other ideas on bunny proofing to keep her out from behind the couch and off it. I've heard bubble wrap on thecushions is a good deterent. And NIC cubes work really well to fence off areas.

Also, try bunny time outs when she misbehaves. It's possible chewing the couch and getting chased for it is a game to her. If you get the sense she's just doing it to annoy you, she may very well be! I've found time outsworked well with Gus when he was being really destructive.

As for her current cage set up, I think the play pen is an excellent solution. She obviously doesn't like her cage and that's why she resists going back to it. Many of us have trained our buns to go into their cages with food. Try timing her pellet time with cage time and she should hop into her cage whenever you want her to!

Definitely get her spayed, that will settle her down a bit. As she ages, she'll mellow out too. She's still young and going through the terrible teens, as they say. But eventually she will get better.

Youdo need to work with her to get her used to being held, picked up, nails clipped, etc. Maybe not right now, but after she's moved into her new pen and has been spayed, etc.It takes time, but really for her own good she should learn to tolerate it. Just pick her up and put her down at random times every day. Don't hold her long--especially not long enough to start scratching and kicking--just keep doing itover and over again. Eventually she should tolerate handling without much issue. Ditto nail clipping, etc.

It takes time, patience, and some ups and downs. Gus still has days where I want to wring his furry little neck. We just got back from vacation and I could tell he was miffed with us for leaving him for a week, but today he got lots of time out in the backyard and I could tell he was really happy and content. No bad bunny today!

Hang in there!

Hope that helps!

Rue

Old 07-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #12
sgbinky
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think the idea of having rabbit roaming a small area would helps to minimize your frustration. My Binky gets a 4 feet by 4 feet fence in front of the cage when I am at work or out of the home. When I am at the house, Binky gets to roam around the house. I just road-block some restricted areas that need work on the rabbit-proofing...lol. I think your rabbit is doing great by going back to the cage to use the litter. You can slowly work from that, expanding the roam area when you have rabbit-proof it.

I think you do need some help from a friend or vet to clip the nails, it does help to minimize scratches or marks on the wall.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #13
LadyKat

I actually did manage to get claws trimmed so no more scratching. My friend who owns rabbits came over and held her while wearing gloves. She kept Smudges face away from me so I could clip, she got bit a few times through the gloves but no broken skin.

Smudges temper has also died down now and she will normally let me pick her up when I need to.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:16 PM   #14
Fukusu

1st of all, rabbits (unlike with kittens & puppies) aren't picked up & carried in their mother's mouth. This means that predators would be the ONLY ones to even try and picked them up. This causes your rabbit to go into fight or flight mode.