Hi! New Here....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JenHarmon5

Reaction score
I'm Jen. I have had rabbits for around 20 years. I currently have 11. Almost all of them are rescues. I came across this place when I was trying to find out how common false pregnancies are in rabbits (because i have never seen one have a false pregnancy in all the years of having rabbits, even when we used to breed them) or if rabbits can breed through small square wire that separates their cage. I went out to feed my rabbits and saw one of my girls had pulled a TON of hair and made a nest. I picked her up and she has nipple development and her abdomen feels larger than normal. She's around a year and a half and has never had babies so I am a bit concerned. I checked the cage thoroughly and there is no way they could have gotten into the other cage. Unless my kids have pulled a fast one on me, or they can breed through real small square wire, then it HAS to be a false pregnancy. Anyway, I thought I would join here and learn new things maybe and share my bunnies <3

welcome, it could just be hormones. she's probably in heat, and not really pregnant.

FYI, during my research into the anatomy and physiology of rabbits, and conversing with an elderly country veterinarian I learned that doe rabbit do not experience estrus. When semen {sperm} is introduced into the doe rabbit the doe rabbit releases eggs from her ovaries.
She can even be fertilized by more than 1 buck. To me, this is a sad situation indeed; e.g. 6-8 litters a year, and gets pregnant every time she is raped. Although I am a heterosexual male I have supported equality for women my entire life. My wife of 48 years was my best friend and equal.&#9787;&#9786;

So sorry I got off topic. I forgot welcome you to this forum. I am a very new newbie also.&#9787;&#9786;

welcome, it could just be hormones. she's probably in heat, and not really pregnant.

Last edited:
uhm....you do understand the way nature works, don't you? rabbits are a prey species, if they do not mate and reproduce often, they'd go extinct. and so would the other prey species, and then the predator species would go extinct as well.

This is a difficult reply for me to make because it is negative. Your comment offended me. I perceived it as arrogant, condescending and inappropriate. I am a newbie, and do not want to start a feud, but this is a friendly forum. We all know what you said to be true, but our members love domesticated rabbits, so your comment was inappropriate. I was merely expressing my empathy and compassion for the endless cycle of rape, pregnancy, birthing and nursing that a doe rabbit must endure. Although I am a heterosexual male I am very female oriented. All my animal friends have been female, and all my best friends have been women.
I have always been a strong advocate of gender equality.
Peace, love and understanding to all.&#9787;&#9786;

uhm....you do understand the way nature works, don't you? rabbits are a prey species, if they do not mate and reproduce often, they'd go extinct. and so would the other prey species, and then the predator species would go extinct as well.

Please remember that this is an introduction and welcome thread, and not the appropriate place to be having this conversation. This forum is welcoming to all rabbit lovers, pet owners and responsible rabbit breeders alike. Let's keep the conversation on topic and relevant to the OP. Also consider that this thread is several months old when commenting further regarding the original post.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=10320

Jbun
Health and Wellness Moderator

Latest posts

Back