Trimming nails....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CuddlesMom

Reaction score
? i trimmed my neighbors rabbits nails like 7 moago they never kept up with it now her nails are so bad! I trimmed thema few days ago but was afraid to go real short in fear of cutting the"vein" ....... can you see the vein in a rabbits nails?? And should igo back in another week to trim them? Oh yeah those 4 babie rabbits ifound.....aganist my gut feeling i put them back inthe ground where i found em...needless to say they froze anddied......Im so upset overit! I think if i woulda cared forthem in my own home and they woulda died i dont think i would have feltso bad! At least it was warm here and they had food the momma nevercame back for em! :X

Welcome Newmommieof4,

I'm so sorry those little ones died. It wasn't your fault. You did thebest you could, but the odds were against them. Most wild rabbits don'tlive in captivity. I admire your wish to help the little ones. Pleasejump down to the P.S. in this post because I misread what you wereoriginally asking. I'm not going to delete what I've written in casesomeone else might take something from it.

Nails: Main thing is attitude. You must be in Control. Take theattitude of "Alpha Rabbit". Trimming their nails is an essential partof their healthcare.

With one hand, support the back and neck of the rabbit, with the other,secure the bottom of the rabbit support its heart and in between it'sfront paws. Pick the rabbit up and cradle it in your arms as you woulda baby. Personally, I find that as long as I secure my rabbit's earsdeep into my elbow and elevate his back feet just a bit, the morecontrol I have over him remaining still. At first, take a tiny bit,just the tip, off of the nail. Having someone help by shining aflashlight up into the nail will help tremendously in spotting thequick (where the blood starts). It's recommended that first you trimjust the tip of the nail, and then go back a day or two later and trima bit more because the quick falls back when the nail is trimmed.

Best to have some corn starch or baby powder on hand should you hit the quick.

P.S. Yes, you can see where the rabbit's nail needs to be clipped. Thebest way is to shine a flashlight up to see where the darkness starts.Of course, darker rabbits are harder to tell where the quick beginsthan lighter ones. I'd suggest you get someone to help you with theflashlight as you try to trim the rabbit's nails. Trim a little oneday, and then go back after the quick has retreated in a day or two.You're doing these rabbit's a great service and relieving them offurther health problems and a lot of pain. Way to Go, NewMommieof4

-Carolyn

Gesh your a lotta helpCarolyn!:)Thanks !!!! May all of you have a happyeaster and your lil fellow rabbits too... lol i know this isnt a goodtime of yr for bunnies being bought and being returned:(.

NewMommieof4,

I'm a bit too wordy sometimes.

Give yourself a big pat on the back for helping your neighbor's rabbit. Let us know how it goes.

I know exactly what you mean about Easter and rabbits. It's easy to getbummed out over the poor rabbits that will end up orphaned. We can'tsave them all though, no matter how much we wish we could.

I do enjoy the Easter commercials with the rabbits though. Toys R Ushas a great commercial with rabbits singing "Here comes PeterCottontail"...and Cadbury always has a good one too. There's someadorable cards out this time of year too.

:)

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back