Rabbit gave birth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickeyandluna

Reaction score
So. I had no idea my doe was even pregnant to begin with and she started pulling out her fur this morning and i immediately knew. I have never had to deal with baby rabbits before and I have no idea what to do. Is there anything I should be doing? She only had 2 (unless she isnt done giving birth). She just had them about maybe 20 minutes ago and she's rearranging her fur so unless thats normal, is she about to have another one? What ages can you separate them from the mothers? I cant keep them and I feel bad for it, but I cant afford 4+ rabbits with how much they eat. I put my male rabbit in the cage to leave her alone and when i did, she gave birth. When should i let him out? View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1499449416.763011.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1499449431.235064.jpg

P.s Yes... she gave birth on my bed... i make them a little "club house" with blankets and stuff like kids do and she chose to give birth inside of it. Im not even sure if i should move them.

First, your male rabbit needs to be seperated until he's neutered, and about 6 weeks after that. Your doe is very receptive right now (and any moment the buck comes too close)

About the kits: As long as they are in the nest you don't need to do anyhing, if they are not put them in there. If there isn't a nest make one. If it's cold (not likely inside) add hay around their nest. Offer the doe unlimited hay anyway.

The doe should feed them within the next 24h, you may not notice, give her privacy, some of mine never go near the nest when I'm around (they are still prey animals). She'll keep away from the nest most of the day, feed only twice per day for a few minutes, that's ok.
You can see if they are fed by watching their bellies.

Feed her well, two kit's aren't that much of a burden, but anyway.

You can seperate them as early as 4 weeks (In an emergancy, like your buck did impregnate her when giving birth), which isn't recommended and in some places selling rabbits younger than 8 weeks isn't allowed anyway, and 8 weeks is a good age to wean them. Depending on their size they can mature somewhere between 10 and 16 weeks, that's when you should have seperated them by gender.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back