Bunny roaming free

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alek

Reaction score
Today is the first day Sadie (my ND) is running loose in the house. She and my little cat are having a great time playing with each other. I've never had a rabbit her size running loose in a house (all my others were 10lbs plus).
She seems to be doing pretty well, but should I put a secondary litterbox in another room for her?

PS. She will only be loose when supervised.

Hmmm... did you transition her to all that space or just offer it all at once? It's a good idea to give her space in increments. So let her have one whole room for awhile and then you can see that she knows where her open cage and litter box are. Then give her maybe an additional hallway the following week and see how she does (returning as needed to her cage). Then expand to another area and so on.

If you do it in gradual increments there is much less chance for potty accidents (which will be a nightmare to 'untrain') and then there also shouldn't be a need for another litter box. She should know to return to her cage for that.

Hmmm... did you transition her to all that space or just offer it all at once? It's a good idea to give her space in increments. So let her have one whole room for awhile and then you can see that she knows where her open cage and litter box are. Then give her maybe an additional hallway the following week and see how she does (returning as needed to her cage). Then expand to another area and so on.

If you do it in gradual increments there is much less chance for potty accidents (which will be a nightmare to 'untrain') and then there also shouldn't be a need for another litter box. She should know to return to her cage for that.

I did, and I also did similar with my 10 other rabbits I had before Sadie. Sadie is the only rabbit I've had with a litter box issue, which is why I asked the question concerning a secondary litterbox.

I just put a secondary litter box downstairs for my bun who gets to free roam when we're home. He didn't like going back upstairs to his litter box, so he just started doing his business just outside our cat's litter box. We set his box up right next to the cats...after a day it's gone well, not that it will necessarily stay that way. Good luck!!

Latest posts

Back