Question about bedding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyBug101

Reaction score
I am fairly new as a rabbit owner, and I am interested to know if it is better to use different materials for thier litter tray and their bedding. Thanks in advance!

Absolutely! If you have a litter box, there should be no loose bedding in the cage whatsoever. That only confuses bunny as to where she should potty!

When initially litter training, the only bedding in the cage should be in the litter box. The rest of the cage floor should be just solid flooring with no loose bedding at all. I wouldn't even have a blanket or anything else soft in the cage during the training stage. Once bunny is trained to the litter box, then some cat beds or softer mat can be added in. But while training, anything soft is fair game for being peed upon.

As for what you use for litter/bedding that is inside the litter box, just be sure it is odor-free, not clumping, not clay-based, and not dusty. Many of us here on RO use wood pellets (not shavings) -- like the ones used for wood pellet stoves or for horse bedding. I top my pellets with hay which encourages bunny to hop in that box. They like to potty while they graze.

Don't worry. They won't eat soiled hay. I refresh the hay twice per day so they always have fresh yummy hay on top. You can put the hay more toward one side of the box so that they put their back end at the opposite side of the box.

Absolutely! If you have a litter box, there should be no loose bedding in the cage whatsoever. That only confuses bunny as to where she should potty!

When initially litter training, the only bedding in the cage should be in the litter box. The rest of the cage floor should be just solid flooring with no loose bedding at all. I wouldn't even have a blanket or anything else soft in the cage during the training stage. Once bunny is trained to the litter box, then some cat beds or softer mat can be added in. But while training, anything soft is fair game for being peed upon.

As for what you use for litter/bedding that is inside the litter box, just be sure it is odor-free, not clumping, not clay-based, and not dusty. Many of us here on RO use wood pellets (not shavings) -- like the ones used for wood pellet stoves or for horse bedding. I top my pellets with hay which encourages bunny to hop in that box. They like to potty while they graze.

Don't worry. They won't eat soiled hay. I refresh the hay twice per day so they always have fresh yummy hay on top. You can put the hay more toward one side of the box so that they put their back end at the opposite side of the box.

Thankyou for the reply! Its really helpful.

Super helpful! Our Holland Lops are in training right now. We are going to try moving our hay feeder tray closer to the litter box to simulate what you do.

Super helpful! Our Holland Lops are in training right now. We are going to try moving our hay feeder tray closer to the litter box to simulate what you do.

If you use a hay rack, ideally you will want to place that hay in such a place that bunny must hop inside the litter box in order to access the hay.

Latest posts

Back