Do your rabbits seem to enjoy having a second level?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flemish giant

Reaction score
I am making a 2x4 c and c cage but I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to do an upper level or not. Does it seem beneficial to have an upper level? I already bout my cubes because they were on sale for 15.00 a piece for 4 cubes at Walmart but I think I'm going to need more than two boxes to make the two levels so I want to know how much rabbits tend to use an upper level.
Thanks!

Rabbits like to have a high point of view. My rabbits have a wooden house with two floors and they love it. I think a whole second floor is a good idea (with a secure ramp), contrarily to those cages designed for chinchillas where you have small platforms and the ramps take space away from the floors (you still need to have enough space for the litter box and the rabbit jumping around on the ground floor).
It might be nice to make one if you don't intend to let the rabbit out of his cage a lot.

Mine have three total floors and use all of them, but probably the top floor the most! It gives them lots of space to play and (in my personal case) they get to look out the window from the third floor. It was totally worth it for our buns!

I made the same size cube cage years ago. This is how I arranged the levels (which you can see they liked). Sorry for poor photo quality -- before digital days. (I no longer use corner litter boxes and instead use one large litter box for when I have two rabbits.) The gray rabbit on the middle level was 9lbs (for scale comparison).

big cage.jpg

Awesome so a ramp wasn't necessary? I may make one for when he's little. I wish I could go that high but it's gonna be at the end of the bed and I don't want it to be too tall and cover the tv.

Ramps just eat up space. Rabbits figure out how to get up. Early on, you can use a box (that will serve as a step) that is half the height to the second level. The box can double as a hidey hut and as a step.

Be sure you have an area in the cage that is tall enough that bunny can stretch fully up on his hind legs. In my photo, that middle section with the blue chair has that high overhead space for stretching.

Ramps just eat up space. Rabbits figure out how to get up. Early on, you can use a box (that will serve as a step) that is half the height to the second level. The box can double as a hidey hut and as a step.

Be sure you have an area in the cage that is tall enough that bunny can stretch fully up on his hind legs. In my photo, that middle section with the blue chair has that high overhead space for stretching.

Alright good idea. And yea only half of the cage will be another level.

Ok I will try the box. I'm only gonna do half the cage so he will be able to stretch on the other half.

Latest posts

Back