Nails and picking up

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivythelionhead

Reaction score
Hi so it's time I have to cut Iris's nails again anyway it's always been a big deal for Iris as she hates having it done as a lot of rabbits do anyway this time my dad is helping me cut her nails and that's great but my thing is she hates being picked up and I don't really pick her up anymore, I mean she loves me and we are on pretty good terms but and when she comes out I just open her door to her xpen and she comes out and then when I call her she goes back in and no biggie but now her nails are long and I hate saying this because I feel guilty but over the holidays and winter I just haven't been keeping up with we nails anyway I was just wondering if anyone had ideas about picking her up again cause she reply hates it, I'm doing her nails tomorrow btw.

You could take her to a groomer at a pet store, like PetSmart, or PetCo ?
They have an excellent record with animals and can be trusted to give the best care.

Yeah the petsmart near me is not trustworthy so I do t really want to take me Iris there.

have you tried offering treats while holding her?
Have you tried just lying on your back and let her come to you and sniff you? maybe place a few treats on your stomach?
nail trimming is a night mare, but once you figure out how to do it with out her scratching you (more like clawing your stomach and leaving you with some scratch marks! *looks at Andy*) it gets easier. I place Andy on a high chair and usually groom him, and then I 'try' to trim his nails. Don't forget the declaw (the worst nail :banghead)
have you tried just laying him on your lap close to your stomach and then try trimming?

We try to constantly feed treats when nail trimming or otherwise stressful situations. Brandy is now at the point where I can do her by myself with no struggle. Whiskey, however, requires a small army to trim his nails still. :p It takes a LOT of time an patience to get a prey animal even comfortable being held (most still do not actively enjoy it).

Basically, I agree with BlackMiniRex- and I also agree that I would not take my pets to a PetCo or PetSmart to get their nails trimmed- that seems like a lot of stress for a little nail trimming.

Yeah I don't wanna take her to petsmart because it's so stressful and we are capable of doing her nails, I know if I can get her and do it it won't be so hard but yeah I don't want her to stress herself out I don't care about being bitten or clawed it doesn't bother me.

Yeah, nails are always a problem. The only rabbit I've had who found a solution is Aki: she hates being picked up and she hates me cutting her nails more, so after a few years she began to cut her own nails - seriously, she just cut them with her teeth and I haven't had to trim her nails for about 3 years now. I took a look at them just last week and they were short and perfect. Unfortunately, Aki is an isolated case as she's unusually clean and bright (I swear she's more clever than my dog and she has crazy good intuitions about things).
I always do Tybalt's nails sitting on the floor with his bum resting on my knees so it's not too scary. I try not to carry my rabbits at my own height when I can help it and to stay as close to the floor as possible (to make the experience easier and to avoid injuries in case the rabbit succeed in escaping - it also prevents me from holding too tight as it's no big deal if the rabbit escapes, I'm really paranoid when it comes to accidentally crushing something by pressing too hard on their bellies). There is a position, slightly reclined back, when he stops moving and it's easier to do him (I use it a lot these days as I have to put cream under his paws twice a day for his slight pododermatitis) but it's not simple to find it the first times especially since you have to be very slow and careful not to hurt your bunny's back.
Some people put the rabbit in a towel and make a burrito. I could never figure out how you successfully do something like that, but I'm not very good at manual things.
Still, there are some rabbits with whom it's hard to find any good solution. I've had a rabbit who was a nightmare when it came to nails and would completely panic everytime, but he was scared of heights so just being picked up triggered wild movements and the occasional scream.

Can you go into her x-pen with her and do it while she is laying down. This way you don't have to pick her up.

I can't go in her xpen and do it while she's laying down because she runs away from me.

Whether she likes it or not, you have to get her used to being picked up and handled. Don't let your bunny train you. My son helps me--he sits in a chair and balances them on one leg while I hold onto each foot and trim till we are done. I had 17 at one time so we couldn't afford to take them anywhere, so our Vets tech came over and showed me how to and that's when I first heard about "training". Read up on behavior and remember to be the "alpha" or you just a doormat with treats and food.

The burrito works for Pippi. ^_^ another thing that worked for her in the beginning was just doing one foot at a time. Like, one night, I would do one foot, the next night another, and so on. That way she wasn't stressed for very long, and she got more used to understanding that there are some times she needs to be held. :) She's pretty good now, but the burrito method helps a lot too, because when she gets anxious, she has the towel to chew on. :)

Latest posts

Back