Scratching.... ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staci

Reaction score
HI I am new here but have a problem with one ofour three rabbits. I am hoping someone has some input as to why she isdoing this.. Her name is Gracie and she is a french lop.

In the first couple of months we had her she did not get a lot ofattention because of mites and not being able to handler her a lot.

All of our rabbits love their attention and Gracie is no exception.During the nights, early mornings and sometimes during the day she goesto one corner and scratches endlessly for some time. Some days betterthen others, some days not at all and others terribly...

Has anyone experienced this before with their bunnies. Or does anyone have a clue as to why...

I thank and appreciate any and all input...

Thanks

Staci Höhland

:DJust giving this a little bump.. Anyone please... ? :) We´re at our witsends... Thanks

Do you me she's scratching/digging at the bottomof the cage? This is a normal behavior for domestic rabbitsas they are descended from wild European rabbits thatlived in"warrens", an underground tunnel home. Your rabbit is simplyacting out her natural behavior do dig a hole to live in : )

Pam

Thanks Pam I know they are from wild rabbitsoriginally.. We have had rabbits for more then 10 yrs andnonehave done this before., so we thought it maybe from someother cause then natural habits... Again thanks for yourinput.. :)

There's nothing to worry about, like Pam said :)My bun is the Queen of Trying to Break Out! lol She'll dig at her cageand try to bite through it for hours and hours. Usually she stops whenI throw more hay in her cage lol it occupies her for awhile :)

Not worried was hoping for a solution she is inour daughter´s bedroom... ;)She has to get up for school at6:30 am so sleep is important.. LOL

Well, when Meg does it I usually throw more hayinto her bowl, then she goes and eats that instead of trying to dig orchew her way out lol.

Staci wrote:
Thanks Pam I know they are from wild rabbits originally.. Wehave had rabbits for more then 10 yrs and nonehave done thisbefore., so we thought it maybe from some other cause then naturalhabits... Again thanks for your input.. :)

Some are more likely to do it than others. We often have doesstart scratching at the back corner of their cage, especially if theyare pregnant.

Pam

lyla wants to be out every minute of the day shebangs her lid constanlity chews on th wires on the top of her cage, askyour daughter if she ever lets the bun out when she is being noisy , idid a few times and that of course conditioned her to think if i makenoise they let me out, also do you let the bunny out for a couple ofhours lyla comes out for long periods of time but has acsessto her cage when she wants back in of course only when im home, but ihave noticed that this has decreased her noise macking sessions alotmabe your bun just needs more attention!

good luck

Latest posts

Back