Hurt Rabbit... what to do?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steven

Reaction score
Sometimes when we let our little dwarf bunny outhe gets a little excited and runs around and goes crazy, but I don'tthink he hurt himself doing that. We usually keep his cagedoor open and it's not that high up int he air but he never tries toget out. The night before last he gave my girlfriend amichievous look then just random hopped right out of the cage to thefloor. We then noticed not too long after that our bunny waslimping.

He will do whatever it takes not to use his right hind leg.He seems to hold it tighter and will not walk on it. This hasoccured for about two days now. I've also noticed that hedoes not seem to be drinking much water now. He acts prettynormal when I look at him in his cage, but when we take him out heobviously limps.. but then leaves a lot of droppings in a shorttime. He usually does not go to the bathroom outside of hiscage.

Anyone have any ideas? Should I take him to the vet or dobunnies hurt their legs and usually get better after a fewdays? Please let us know if you have any insight.

Thanks

Steven

I personally, would take him to the vet asapespecially if since it has been two days and he is not drinking watersince rabbits can dehydrate so quickly. ANYONE whatabout-------->syringe some water into his mouth in order tore-hydrate him??? Jezebel hurt her foot once by skidding intothe wall and breaking the skin in between her toes, I took her to thevet since she was limping and even though nothing was broken-its alwaysbetter to err on the side of caution since bunnies will exhibit signsof something wrong with them if you know their regular "routine" Hisnumerous amounts of pellets in a very short time is normal for mostbunnies, but if his bathroom habits have altered then there might beconcern.

Hope this was a bit o help, I am just speaking for what I have gonethrough with my girls, we have some FANTABULOUS experts on this boardthough who have some great insights !

Cher

Hi Steven,

I do think a visit to a rabbit-saavy vet is in order, but for now, keep him calm.

You must get him to drink. If you have a syringe, give him a little bitat a time. When rabbits are in pain, they stop intake. Water is of theutmost importance. If you have to, put drops of water on his lips andmake him lick it off.

If he's not drinking, give him celery, a dark leafed lettuce, orcarrot. Something that has water in it so that he stays hydrated.

You're right. He probably hurt himself.

Keep us posted; and keep him hydrated.

-Carolyn

A vet visit is in order. Thevet may prescribe meds for pain and anti-inflammatory as well as anappetite stimulant. The vet will also want to do x-rays to see if bunnbroke a bone.

Pam

I agree a vet visit is in order.. If he weredrinking maybe not but it is better to go asap... Good luck and let usknowhow he does...

Even if the little one is drinking, I'd still get him to the vet. The leg has to be treated.

-Carolyn

One of my first rabbit's babies dislocated his front right leg at the shoulder and had to get it put back in by the vet.

Go to the vet straight away. It must be really hurting him,poor thing! Hope he's better soon and welcome to the board!

Latest posts

Back