7baby bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnyz4us

Reaction score
Hi,

Our Mom bunny had 7 bunnies 14 days ago. My kids are anxiousto get them out and handle them. Their eyes are still closed.How long should we wait to handle them?:) (get them out of the nestingbox, etc.)

Hi Bunnys4us,

How old are your children?

I'm not a breeder, I should make that clear. I know of a breeder whohas a very responsible son who's about 10 years old. Her name is Donnaand her son's name is Danny. They handle the kits very early, but asyou can imagine, rabbit's bones, backs, etc, are very tender and caneasily break. Danny and Donna handle their kits (baby rabbits) daily tocheck their bellies to see if they're round and warm and the doe isfeeding them, and pet them to help them acclimate to humans. I've hadthe pleasure of meeting Donna and Danny and their rabbits are the mostdocile I've ever met.

You don't want to over handle them, but picking them up and checking onthem and giving them pets is fine from what I've learned from Donna.The mother rabbit doesn't really care. Keep them in the nest box untilthey come out. With their eyes closed, they still need that nest box,their mom's feedings, and time to sleep to grow.

(I hope I got that all right.) Unfortunately, Donna doesn't stop by this forum too much.

-Carolyn

Your baby bunnies should be opening their eyessoon and out of the nest box at three weeks of age. Weaning(the time tostop nursing and be separated from their mum)should be at eight weeksof age.Wish you good luck!:)

Latest posts

Back