Rabbit of the Month is WIKI, photo by lilnaugrim
Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Housing and Environment > Preparing for the new bun (dwarf)

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:25 AM   #11
whitelop
Morgan

Liked 507 Times on 397 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Hammocks aren't good for rabbits! Its not very natural for them to jump in and out of them and sometimes they get stuck and hurt themselves. IF you do want a hammock, it should be like an inch above a solid shelf or floor. Somewhere they don't have to jump to get on and off of it. They can just step up into it.

I don't personally have a NIC cage but I think a lot of people leave the tops open, as long as you don't have a full on jumper who is going to jump over the top.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:56 AM   #12
JBun
Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
RABBIT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1158 Times on 1001 Posts
Likes Given: 61

The binder clips are only used to clip the fleece to the coroplast and shelf, so it doesn't slip around. The walls and shelves are all ziptied together. If you look at that link in my previous post, there is a video tutorial, on how to assemble your nic condo. He uses plywood instead of coroplast though, but it shows how to put the walls and shelves together.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #13
Kyva

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

JBun, I didn't even notice the videos last night. Thanks so much for pointing them out. I've been following another guide. Same idea, only difference is that she uses 2 zip ties per grid instead of 3. I'm going to try and find more ties today (near impossible unless I have them shipped from somewhere else. Right now I'm working with a bag of 150 assorted zip ties from Kmart (different colors and sizes). I've been using the thickest ones on corners for support, which I hope is okay. Both of these videos seem to be using the shorter ties for everything.

Also nice to see you can use a (dog leash clip?) to close the cage.

As far as hammocks go, if I ever got one, I was going to have it real close to the shelf, as I've seen others mention concern of injury on here before.

Thanks again

Old 03-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #14
PwnzorsNTittylwinks
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

I got a hammock and had it hanging so it was like an inch or a two off the floor, and my rabbit just ripped it to shreds. it literally lasted one night. Unless you have one who isnt a big chewer then i wouldnt wast the money on a hammock. lol but then again frank will chew on anything (except wires, surprisingly..)

Old 03-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #15
Kyva

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I'm not sure what our guy will be yet. I haven't picked him up, and am currently putting the finishing touches on his cage. It would help if this water bottle was air tight...