Just got back from the vet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynda

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Long time no see! Sorry.....just sooooo busy with my youngest (Autism Spectrum) )Zach's school meetings, etc.

Anyway, if you could please send some good thoughts and prayers Snuggles' way, I'd really appreciate it.

She's being treated for GI Stasis. I really want to do everything right and get her through it!

I just noticed a change in her poop on Saturday(called then to makeappt for today). She ate yesterday but not today....I'm hoping wecaught it earlyand that helps.

Vet gave a shot of Metoclopromide and I'm to give her 0.5MLbymouth 3 times a day. Canned pumpkin via syringe 3 times a dayalso.

Any particular greensyou allfind helpful?

Parsley can help stimulate their appetite.

Your baby will certainly be in my thoughts and prayers, Lynda.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

I hope she gets better soon!

I've dealt with a few minor hairball issues this season, and what getsmy buns eating are pumpkin (which you are already feeding) cilantro,and flat leaf parsley. The stronger smell interests themmore.

Also, if you can find some really yummy hay, like oat hay, good orchardgrass, whatever Snuggles goes nuts for, she might eat it from yourhand. After Fey and Sprite got spayed last week, they didn'teat much for a couple days. They wouldn't eat hay out of therack but they did eat a little out of my hand. It helps thatI just bought my first box of Oxbow timothy and a bag of their orchardgrass. They like it so much more than Kaytee, and both typessmell better than the Kaytee stuff too.

Are you syringing fluids, too? She might not be drinking as much, and the fluids can really help.

Oh, and don't forget the Nutri Cal! It might encourage her to eat on her own.

naturestee wrote:
Oh, and don't forget the Nutri Cal! It mightencourage her to eat on her own.

I'd check that with the vet. Sometimes NutriCal and meds don't mix.

-Carolyn

Giving her some pedialyte to keep her hydrated is a good idea as well.

I'll keep you and her in my thoughts and prayers! Please keep us posted!

From my last experience with this, I would letthe vet take care of her til she is better. It is toostressful trying to take care of it myself and hoping it gets betterand the force feeding etc.

Ed

I agree with Ed. Getting the rabbit onIV fluids seems to be the best treatment. Matthew wasdevastated to lose his Dwarf Hotot buck, Dan, this past weekend to GIstasis. We're seeing a lot of cases with the change in theweather.

Pam

naturestee wrote:
I hope she gets better soon!

I've dealt with a few minor hairball issues this season, and what getsmy buns eating are pumpkin (which you are already feeding) cilantro,and flat leaf parsley. The stronger smell interests themmore.

Also, if you can find some really yummy hay, like oat hay, good orchardgrass, whatever Snuggles goes nuts for, she might eat it from yourhand. After Fey and Sprite got spayed last week, they didn'teat much for a couple days. They wouldn't eat hay out of therack but they did eat a little out of my hand. It helps thatI just bought my first box of Oxbow timothy and a bag of their orchardgrass. They like it so much more than Kaytee, and both typessmell better than the Kaytee stuff too.

Are you syringing fluids, too? She might not be drinking as much, and the fluids can really help.

Oh, and don't forget the Nutri Cal! It might encourage her to eat on her own.
HOw often do you feed pumpkin? :)

Thanks everyone!

Here's the syringe the vet gave me for the pumpkin....Monoject412...filled/fed 3 times a day. I'm also giving herwater via(a smaller) syringe.No real "schedule" for that.I'm home all dayso every now and then throughout the day andnight she gets that. I dip the greens in water when Ifeedthem too.I'll get Pedialytetoday;)The greens she's not thrilled about but she takes thepumpkin really well.

The vet is about 5 minutes around the corner from me. After Snuggles'spay, I doubted myself the first couple of times checking the incision,etc......she really kicked a lot and made it difficult to see. And Ididn't really know what looked ok and didn't. Anyway, thevet'sreally good when I call and say, "Are you really busytoday? Could I bring (whatever animal I'm questioning) in for like 2minutes?" Knowing the vet's right there and open to us coming inanytime like that, I feel ok treating at home.

Edited to add.....The vet's calling today re my cat's bloodwork.Another example of the last minute "Hey, while I'm therew/Snugglescould youcheck my cat?" I'll ask herabout the Nutri Cal and let you know what she says.

Thanks again!

syringe.jpg

Lynda wrote:
Vet gave a shot of Metoclopromide and I'm to give her 0.5MLby mouth 3 times a day.
Good stuff. Hope she's doing better.

Thanks for asking....and for the thoughts and prayers!

Her appetite's not what I'd like it to be, but I do catch her munchingon the hay and greens some throughout the day and the vet did tell meit would take awhile.......

Good news is we have poop....little/tiny poops butpoopnonetheless! She's also running and binkying in the playpen some:D

Well, time to get the syringes before I get ready for bed. Wonder why I have scratches all up and down my arms:?

I'll post/update as I can. Thanks again!

{{{HUGS}}}

Any sort of Poop is good Poop at the moment I guess, keep up the care you are giving it sounds as though it's working ;)

Wishing you LOTS more Poopies!!

Sounds funny saying that, but bring on the poopies!!!

Any further improvement, Lynda?

:pray:

-Carolyn

Ihaven't been able to watchSnuggles like I want to.

I'm inenough to give her med and pumpkin but then I'm out again.

While at my Mom's 80th birthday dinner Sat. night, I got a call on mycell from the hospital.......My 86 yr old landladyhit theback tire of a parked SUV. Going only 20-25 mph it somehow flipped hercar onto its roof:shock:

Ifinish Mom's dinner, come check on Snuggles, do thehospital....calllandlady's kids and get everyone wherethey're supposed to be........

Landlady gets home around midnight.....she didn't have her seat belt onbut nothing'sbroken. Not even the hip she had surgery on nottoo long ago!

Her knees are battered and bruised and because her skin is tissue paperthin,there's open/bleeding sores that will take forever toheal and she happens to have a UTI but other than that she's fine.

I woke her a few times during the night to check for concussion, etc.She yelled at me to leave her alone because she was tired and I wasgetting on her nerves. I told her she could yell all she wants as longas she said my name first.LOL

This morning I got her up and watched her dress and walk, etc.....No light headedness or dizziness, her balance was good.....

Her son came, Idid church with my Mom....special service remembering members that have passed....my Dad included.

I think Snuggles is ok. She's in the playpen again nibbling hay now and then......

Tomorrow I'll make sure the landlady's son gets her doc appts set upand taken care of.......after his doc appts......he's got Parkinson'sDisease.....

If all goes ok with the humans in the house, I'd like to get Snuggleschecked again on Tuesday. Like I said, I think she's ok, butI want to know for sure....especially because I've been so busy.

I'll keep you all posted!

Doesn't seem to be touching her pellets but Snuggles is eating a variety of greens.

Getting more/bigger poops too!

Thanks again:)

Latest posts

Back