Hello!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyLover

Reaction score
Hi!

I joined this board a couple days ago so I guess Ishould introduce myself.

I'm 14 andhave two femaleHolland Lops. I really enjoy learning and sharing aboutrabbits.

I also have a quick question. I havenoticed recently that one of my rabbits spends most of her time pacingher cage as a result of this she doesn't eat much and doesn't weigh asmuch as I would like her to. I try to let them run aroundthehouse for about a half an hour each day, hoping that it will use upsome of her energy which it usually doesn't. What I was wondering wasifthere is any other way I can encourageher to eatmore.

Thanks,

Lissa

Dose she have toys in her cadge some thing to playwith? I heard Bunny's need toys to keep them entertained. I know Iwould want some thing to play with if I was in a cadge most of the day.My Dutch Bunny Buster loves toilet paper rolls and cat toys that areballs with bells in them. He also has a fuzzy cloth he likes to rub onand sleep with.

If she's not finishing her food and needs theadditional calories, you might consider giving her Nutri Cal, a highcalorie supplement for dogs and cats. I find it helpful forolder rabbits also because it's so easily digestible.

You might also try some rolled oats, a little carrot or a small piece of bread with a little corn oil on it.

Pam

Hi Dawn,

What are you trying to feed her?

-Carolyn

Hi

I give my rabbits old fashioned oatmeal in the morning and then Irefill their hay supply and give them their pellets in the evening.(Ican't rememberwhat brand I feed them right now)

They both have a hard plastic baby rattle in their cages right now, butI am looking for some other toys for them. They like to chew on everything so I'm a little bit concerned about the cat toys with bells inthem, most of them look really flimsy. Has anyone heard of giving thembird toys? Like the ones with wooden blocks on a chain and a bell onthe bottom. What other toys do you give our rabbits?

Is Nutri Cal safe for younger rabbits? BlueBelle is a little under ayear old so I don't want to give her something that might harm her.

Lissa

Hi bunnyllover!

And welcome!!
Glad to have you among us!
My name is lauren i have two rabbits (ebony and fidget).
hope you lile it among us!!
Lots of luv loz n ebs n fudge
xoxoxox:cool:

Welcome BunnyLover,

Anything that Pamnock advises for/to your rabbit is safe for it. Yes,Nutri-Cal is very safe for rabbits, even for your little sweetheart.Pamnock is the 'doctor in the house'. She's not literally a vet, butshe might as well be...she's an American Rabbit Breeders AssociationJudge.

Perhaps you could stop the oatmeal and just feed the little one hay and pellets. See how it goes after 24 hours or so.

Be sure to have a fresh supply of water for her. If your rabbit doesn'thave water, she won't eat. How do her teeth look? If they have atoothache, they won't eat.

Keep us posted on how things are going.

-Carolyn

Sometimes buns are not fond of particular brandsof rabbit feed, especially some pet store brands, which can have atendency to not be terribly fresh. Most exerienced rabbitfanciers prefer feeds purchased from feed stores, which usually are ofhigher quality and have more rapid turnover, hence, are fresher.

Buck

Welcome, Buck gave a great suggestion. Ihad never heard of a feed store until someone on this chatroomsuggested it. But not only is tier feed fresherit is also very cheap.

One thing that Thumper just loves is bannanas andraisins. He clucks and clucks when I feed them tohim. Good luck.

We don't have a feed store here in this craptacular city lol, so I just get her food from the Pet Store or Wal Mart...:)

I've never heard of bunnies eating banana's or raisins??

BunnyLover wrote:
Is Nutri Cal safe for younger rabbits? BlueBelle is a little under ayear old so I don't want to give her something that might harm her.

Lissa
Hi Lissa,

Nutri-Cal is a high calorie supplement, so you do want to usesparingly, as too many calories can convert to fat and an overweightrabbit is not a healthy rabbit. Nutri-Cal alone will notprovide a balanced diet for your rabbit.

There are some rabbits that are genetically inclined to stay rather thin and do not easily build up flesh.

You might consider consulting with your vet on your rabbit's generalhealth and whether or not he/she feels the necessity of additionalcalories.

Outdoor rabbits often need additional calories in the winter.

Pam

MyBunnyLovesMe wrote:
I've never heard of bunnies eating banana's or raisins??

Bunnies love treats like bananas and raisins, however, they are veryhigh in sugar, so should only be given sparingly. A balanceddiet for bunny is just as important as a balanced diet is for peopleand treats should begiven in moderation.

Pam

All I've ever given her is this Habitrail Snacks that came with her Starter Kit.

I tried to give her celery, carrots and some lettuce but she doesn't like it.

Can I give her hamster food? Do they like sunflower seeds and corn pieces? Or is that a big no no for bunnies?

I like to stay away from too many seeds in arabbit's diet. They are not seed eaters and I don't thinkit's the best food for their high fiber requirements. Seedsare for birds -- not rabbits (in my opinion). It isalso recommended that hamsters not be on a exclusive seed diet.

Also, some seeds (such as sunflower seeds) are rather high in fat, and should only be given in moderation.

Dark greens (tiny pieces at first!) are good. I like to givedandelion leaves. Parsley and hay are also good treats forbunns.

Pam

Okay, thank you! :) My hamster has a mix of seeds, pellets, and corn that he enjoys :)

I shall try my bunny with a little bit of dark greens, and see if she'll actually eat it :)

Thanks again, Pam, you're such a great help!

Thanks for all of your suggestions!

I have noticed that when I feed her later in the morning she tends toeat more of her pellets. I'll have to check her teeth when I feed hertonight, is there anything particular I should look for? I don't thinkshe has a tooth ache because when I took her out today she was chewingon stuff and I don't think she would do that if her teeth hurt.

She seems to be very healthy and happy so I'm going to hold off ongetting Nutri-Cal for a while. Like Pam said maybe she is "geneticallyinclined to staythin." She is always munching on her hay soI'm not too worried about her.

Lissa

Latest posts

Back