Is Rollo's "room" big enough???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimsamsmom

Reaction score
Here is Rollo's room. He is a dwarf mix approximately 12 weeks old. Is his room big enough or should we look into a bigger room? We let his door open most of the time when we are home, and he hops in and out at will. He has a grass "hut", food bowl, a hay hopper, carrot shaped salt block, water bottle, card board box, and used to have a bigger piece of cardboard to cover 1/2 the wire bottom, but we had to take it out because it got icky, a hanging bell toy, tp tubes, a crochet little cloth and a piece of white cloth, oh and a tennis ball LOL! Any comments, tips, pr suggestions would be much appreciated, we want him to be comfy and happy.

Here he is hanging out in his grass hut, he like to jump on top and eat the hut.

photo.000.jpg

Here he is lounging with his cloth he likes to bunch up

photo.6.5.jpg

Chillin out top view
photo.7.5.jpg

saying "You done yet??? Open my door so I can go play!"
photo.2.004.jpg

Last edited:
At the moment it's a reasonable size, but it won't be for long as he grows up a bit more. You could probably add a half length additional level at one end if you wanted him to have a bit more floor room. So yes, a larger one will probably be needed as he grows, however you say he spends most of his time out of it anyway so he may be alright, really depends how much bigger he gets.

Thanks for the info any idea of how much bigger will a dwarf bunny get?

Hi there! Cute little bunny. I agree that a little tray it a very good idea, otherwise you will have pee and poo all over the place and it's a whole lot of cleaning.

I also agree that you will need a bigger cage as he grows. My small bunny Gidget has a cage around the same size, and i am going to upgrade it very soon as he gets very bored and there isn't much room to move. He also gets out for 40 minutes in the morning and a few hours in the evening when i get home from work.

What you could do if you have room is get a wire pet pen that is high enough so that he cant jump out and attach it around the front of his cage with a ramp so he can jump in and out. Something like this:

DSC_0092.jpg

Rollo looks like he may be a netherland dwarf and lionhead cross, my dwarfs are full grown and they aren't very big at all, in fact Rollo looks like he may be a tad bigger then them, my lionhead isn't very large either, but you will want to expand his space as he gets older. Kizza's idea of a x-pen is very good, since he'll probably be a smaller rabbit it'll be plenty of space and as he gets to come out in the evening it should work really well. Btw he's adorable! :)

I do not really see Netherland in him, but definitely Lionhead. I would say he's going to mature around 4 lbs.

I would also recommend litter training. It makes it a lot easier to clean and it gets the bunny off the wire, which would make him much more comfortable. Our cages our made of the NIC which we really like, although I am a big fan of just having an x-pen :)

As to the hutch size, that one should be fine as long as you open up and let him out every day. Unless he hits a growth spurt and becomes 1o pounds. Our hutches aren't huge, but our bunnies are out for several hours every day.

Latest posts

Back