Litter Box troubles!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cseldes

Reaction score
Last week I decided to clean my bun's litter box with soap. I never do this but I felt it needed a good clean! Well, jokes on me bc now he won't use the litter box. I suppose the soap was too strong smelling and took away his scent. So for a few days I would just absorb his pee with the bedding or paper towels and put them in the box to get his scent back. When that wasn't working I bought a new box entirely bc he never had issues switching to a new box. He is not only still peeing next to the box, he is now tipping the box over and spilling the contents everywhere! Any suggestions on how to get him using his box again?!

(My bun is a 4ish year old Holland Lop who never had issues with litter training!)

I would give everything a good clean with bleach or vinegar. Start everything fresh including the cage so he doesn't think the cage that now smells like his potty is where he should go. Save up a bunch of papertowel with his pee on it and put it in the litter box when its all ready to go and everything is clean.
What are you using as bedding in the rest of the cage? what were you using as litter in the litter box?

The cage just has a mat as the floor, I use no bedding there it is similar to a yoga mat. Litter box I use carefresh natural I think it's called. It's just like paper or something, been using the same one ever since I got him and he's never had an issue with it before.

Thanks, I'll definitely try the vinegar idea! I have been using a cleaner that we use for the dog but maybe it isn't strong enough to kill the smell.

I would give everything a good clean with bleach or vinegar. Start everything fresh including the cage so he doesn't think the cage that now smells like his potty is where he should go. Save up a bunch of papertowel with his pee on it and put it in the litter box when its all ready to go and everything is clean.
What are you using as bedding in the rest of the cage? what were you using as litter in the litter box?

Thanks for the idea! The vinegar things seems to be working!

Latest posts

Back