New and a bit lost

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magicwhisper

Reaction score
hello there, my other half and i bought our little fur baby 11 week old timothy thumper last saturday and he is already in charge here :D

however timothy nibbles my hand if i put it near i'm *not in a nasty way* and he has just started to dig at my clothes.

What is the best way to stop the nibbling ><

thanks

my human didn't realise that she wasn't aloud to type here and she says sorry. Silly human she should listen to me when i tell her!

Rabbits will nibble each others fur when grooming each other, so it sounds like your little bun is just trying to groom you. To discourage the nibbling you can make a loud 'eek' sound, to show it hurts. You can also flinch and pull your hand away, like another rabbit would do if the nibbling was hurting. And reward the bunny with pets when it licks and grooms you properly.

Digging at clothes can be a way to get your attention. It may mean 'pet me', 'move your leg', or 'I need to pee, where's my litter box'. It can also just be something they do because they like digging at fabric and cloth, to rearrange it. If that's the case, you can give your bun a fleece blankie to dig on and play with. But beware, a lot of bunnies LOVE to pee on soft things, even after they are properly litter trained. If you want to discourage digging at your clothes, which I would suggest, you can do a little clap and tell your bunny 'no', or move you bunny away from doing it and tell it 'no'. You'll just have to see what works for your bun. Some discipline methods don't work for some rabbits.

Zero gets his feelings hurt when I say no sharply, I have spoken to him softly since he was a baby so the tone in my voice is enough to discourage naughty behavior. He did go through a stage where he was biting my clothes and pulling back pretty aggressively at around 11 or 12 weeks. I had to just remove him from my lap and tell him no. He figured it out rather quickly that biting me or my clothes was not acceptable. He tried digging my knee once and just a quick "no" correction was enough he hasn't done it since. I have found that its all about consistency, try not to let your bun get away with even a little naughty behavior biting etc it really isn't cute when it escalates to drawing blood or damaging your clothes/ belongings.

By sharply I don't mean loudly, just a quick NO! gets his attention.

yeah he is he is such a sweet little thing, he loves cuddles with mum and dad :D and he loves broccoli :D

Latest posts

Back