Soft stool and hard lump in left side, please help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henryflops

Reaction score
Hi I'm a fairly new bunny owner, I have a 10 week old mini lop called Henry and this morning he has been producing soft stool, if that wasn't enough to get me worried, I had him out for his usual morning escapades and I felt this hard lump nearly the size of a golf ball on his left side, it feels internal, it's kinda near his rib cage, you wouldn't notice it looking at him as he has sort of long fur (lion head mix) and I'm just really panicking, my main concern is I have a vet appointment booked for him on Saturday but from what I've read about bloat and stuff, he might not make it that long, I also currently have no finances till Thursday and I'm really scared, I've grown too attached to my little man in the short time I've had him. Before I got him he was fed on a general rabbit food, which I wasn't happy about, he now eats Timothy hay and occasionally rabbit pellets. He's eating and drinking and actually being more cheeky and lively than usual (jumping out of his run) he's an indoor rabbit who I take outside usually once a day for a run, please can anyone help me!

I should also say, he was kept on sawdust and I changed him over to straw and in the beginning he tried to eat a lot of it

If he's eating and drinking it's unlikely he has bloat. Bloat is usually extremely painful and causes the rabbit to stop eating because of this.

The lump could be something unrelated to the soft stool. If it's a lump on the skin and not the whole belly bulging, it could be an abscess or even possibly a bot fly. Or if in the abdominal region, it could be a hernia. Due to your description of the size of it being so large, I think I would want to have him seen right away. A golf ball size lump is unusual and especially if it has suddenly occurred, it would be a cause of concern to me.

Is the soft stool runny or pudding like diarrhea, or is it a bit of mushy cecotropes along with normal round fecal balls being produced? And have you fed any new foods recently or any sugary starchy foods? Watery or pudding like diarrhea of the fecal poop(normal fecal balls not present) is considered an emergency, especially in baby rabbits. Mushy cecotropes, where the fecal poop is the normal round balls, can have a few causes, but most often will be due to dietary changes or too many sugars/carbs in the diet.

Latest posts

Back