will this work?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMiniRex

Reaction score
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_VwH_0R7qw[/ame]
do you think this would work for my mini Rex bunny Andy for a harness? or would he freak out/chew threw it etc.

His reaction to it definitely depends on his individual personality. But as a knitter, I would be concerned about this method for a number of reasons. Socks are VERY stretchy--all knitted fabric is. The sock used in the video is a fuzzy sock, so it isn't likely that the cuts will turn into runs, but other types of sock very well might, which would compromise the integrity of the harness. But my biggest concern would just be the bun slipping out of it due to the stretchiness. Definitely try it inside in a safe environment and really put it through its paces before you risk taking the bun outside in it.

His reaction to it definitely depends on his individual personality. But as a knitter, I would be concerned about this method for a number of reasons. Socks are VERY stretchy--all knitted fabric is. The sock used in the video is a fuzzy sock, so it isn't likely that the cuts will turn into runs, but other types of sock very well might, which would compromise the integrity of the harness. But my biggest concern would just be the bun slipping out of it due to the stretchiness. Definitely try it inside in a safe environment and really put it through its paces before you risk taking the bun outside in it.

yeah i'll try it inside to see how he works, he hates his other harness (the H style) its always to loose or to tight, so i was hoping something like this would work.

From what I recall, only H-style harnesses are considered safe. I'll see if I can find the thread here on RO for that.

Here it is. It explains why the vest-style harnesses aren't advised.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f14/harnesses-76866/

sadly he HATES his H style cat harness,
idk why he always wants to run into the woods when i bring him outside....
i want to bring him outside but i have no clue how to get him to like his harness....(i can't afford to buy a pen, right now i only have enough money to get him fixed) i try not to pull on him but i don't want him in the woods (toxic plants etc.)

i just saw this now, i'll try this

Azerane said:
I have an "H" harness for Bandit. I'm not a fan of the string ones, and I feel like the vest ones might restrict movement a little too much. He's fine with his harness on, she may have wrangled it off because she's not used to wearing it. I introduced Bandit to his harness very slowly. First I let him get used to the smell of it etc, then I would sit it on top of his shoulders/back and pet him while it was on there. After that, I moved onto clipping up the loop around his neck and I would have that on him and pet him and give him treats etc. Then when he was completely fine with that I would clip on the second loop and give more praise etc. And then when he seemed fine with wearing it I let him out to hop around in his free space with it on, so it was like a reward for wearing it. Some rabbits may be fine, but you can't always clip something on an animal and expect them to be fine with it, it's a very strange new sensation, especially for a prey animal to have something around their back and chest that may feel like they are being captured by something.

As for how often I put his harness on, before I let him out of his room to run around, I always put it on. Not because it needs to be on, but so that he stays used to it and getting to be out and run around is a reward for getting his harness put on. After he's been out for 15 minutes I usually take it off. Then, obviously if I'm going to take him outside for a walk, I'll put his harness and leash on, then take it straight off when we get back inside.

I have two Sphynx cats. In summer I take them out in a pet stroller which has a tie down to prevent them from jumping out of the stroller. Because of their delicate bare skin it took a while to find harnesses that work for them. The two kinds I use are:

Vest style harnesses made of light cotton with the straps on the outside. The cotton is lined with a second layer of softer cotton. Mine are custom made for Sphynx cats, who are smaller and slimmer than other breeds.

T-shirt harnesses. These are available for small dogs. I use them for my chihuahua as well as my Sphynx. They are made of t-shirt material with harness sewn in. The harnesses have wide straps, which makes them more comfortable than standard harnesses. They're softer and lighter weight than vest harnesses.

OK now I'm picturing Saoirse my Flemish Giant in the pet stroller. I doubt she will fit into it next summer. :rollseyes

I have two Sphynx cats

Vest style harnesses made of light cotton with the straps on the outside.

T-shirt harnesses. These are available for small dogs.

OK now I'm picturing Saoirse my Flemish Giant in the pet stroller. I doubt she will fit into it next summer. :rollseyes

As explained in above posts, though, the vest style and t-shirt harnesses would not be appropriate for rabbits. (I couldn't tell if you were suggesting these as alternatives for OP's rabbit.) The stroller, however, is a good way to let bunny get some fresh air.

As explained in above posts, though, the vest style and t-shirt harnesses would not be appropriate for rabbits. (I couldn't tell if you were suggesting these as alternatives for OP's rabbit.) The stroller, however, is a good way to let bunny get some fresh air.

I took the earlier posts to mean that a knitted vest with no harness straps inside wouldn't be appropriate. Maybe I misunderstood. The Sphynx harnesses are custom made, I should have mentioned that in greater detail. The vest itself acts as the harness and has a steel loop on the back for a leash. The person who makes and sells them asks for measurements and makes them to measure. I thought maybe something like that would exist for rabbits.

The T-shirt harnesses are thinner, softer and stretchy, but the harness inside is standard nylon with adjustable, wide straps. I believe they are H harnesses, which people mentioned are the best for rabbits. That was why I suggested them.

Sorry for not posting in greater detail, I've been working today and don't have a lot of time to post. ;)

Please only use H style harnesses that have a back and chest strap.
The ones that dont have a chest strap can still easily hurt your rabbits.

The chest strap allows any pressure put on the harness by an animal pulling to be distributed over the chest rather then the neck. They also sit lower on the neck so same thing. So if someone accidentally tugs on the leash or the rabbit pulls it is safe. Its not cutting into the rabbits abdomen or slipping further down. The chest strap makes both neck and body straps sit in a better place so their on the rabbits properly rather then migrating to the squishy abdomen and squishy neck of a moving rabbit.
It also prevents the rabbit from being able to slip their head under that strap if its just a smidge too loose.

Think of a seatbelt in a car. You want it over sturdy bone parts not the neck or abdomen.
So for a rabbit that is their chest/ribcage.

House039.jpg

House035.jpg

House029.jpg

yup, that's the harness, the blue one on the lion head is exactly the same as mine
theirs always a lot of "excess" on the harness because he's so small i have to pull it to the lowest setting and he somehow slips out (if that made any sense)

Last edited:
looking at the photos... i think i put the harness on wrong, i put it on so the metal ring (to attach leash) at the front next to the back of his neck:foreheadsmack:

^ neither the custom vest, nor the t-shirt would be considered safe. Rabbits are built differently and move differently than cats.
This is what an H-style harness looks like

Yep - that's what's inside the tshirt harness, basically it's like a harness sewn inside a t-shirt.

But yes, I understand what you're saying about rabbits being different and moving differently. That's good to know because someday I'd like to take my Flemish out in the stroller - if she's not too big and it doesn't break. :laugh:

Please only use H style harnesses that have a back and chest strap.
The ones that dont have a chest strap can still easily hurt your rabbits.

The chest strap allows any pressure put on the harness by an animal pulling to be distributed over the chest rather then the neck. They also sit lower on the neck so same thing. So if someone accidentally tugs on the leash or the rabbit pulls it is safe. Its not cutting into the rabbits abdomen or slipping further down. The chest strap makes both neck and body straps sit in a better place so their on the rabbits properly rather then migrating to the squishy abdomen and squishy neck of a moving rabbit.
It also prevents the rabbit from being able to slip their head under that strap if its just a smidge too loose.

Think of a seatbelt in a car. You want it over sturdy bone parts not the neck or abdomen.
So for a rabbit that is their chest/ribcage.

House039.jpg

House035.jpg

House029.jpg

That's the exact same harness I use on my chihuahua (she has the purple one). I agree that it's better than the standard harness without the back and chest straps. She used to have a plain H harness, and learned to slip out of it whenever she saw another dog.

Question. I do not have a hard carrier for AJ for the Vet. If I get him a harness and put him in front carry style carrier I use for my dog.... It has a hard bottom and soft sides that I can line with a blanket or towel, and I'd wear it like a backpack but on my front.... Would definitely have a leash stretched. Or should I just carry him wrapped up since he's very comfy with me holding him?

Question. I do not have a hard carrier for AJ for the Vet. If I get him a harness and put him in front carry style carrier I use for my dog.... It has a hard bottom and soft sides that I can line with a blanket or towel, and I'd wear it like a backpack but on my front.... Would definitely have a leash stretched. Or should I just carry him wrapped up since he's very comfy with me holding him?

I can't picture this backpack-style "carrier" you describe.
Do NOT just carry him wrapped up to the vet. It isn't safe. He'll be confronted with all kinds of unfamiliar sights and sounds and you don't know how he'll react.

If you have a rabbit, it is a good idea to invest in a proper, hard carrier. This is necessary not just for vet or travel purposes, but also for, heaven forbid, emergencies (like a fire) that would require a quick, safe place to put bunny.

Its probably something like this. I would say no, not a good idea. But better then nothing. Please just attach a lid to it somehow.
http://www.dogster.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Outward-Hound-Pet-A-Roo-side-wearing.jpg
You should really look into getting a proper carrier for both the rabbit and dog.

I hate when people use them for their dogs. They are not safe. If a dog is in a carrier they should be in a hard sided or wire carrier. Otherwise they should be on a leash. This is why so many small dogs are so aggressive.

Latest posts

Back