Question about diet!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunny

Reaction score
Hi all! I just have a question about my rabbits diet as I would like them to have the perfect diet.
I have dwarf lionhead rabbits they're all about 3lbs adults. They get 1/8th of a cup of pellets per day. Half in the morning and half in the evening.
I feed Martin Mills-Little Friends Timothy Adult. It's a Canadian made brand and I live in Canada. :p
Looking at this chart here:
http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp

It's a great type of pellet excepting that the calcium:phosphorus ratio is a little low.
They also get unlimited hay (obviously ) it's a mix of timothy, orchard grass, and a bit of clover. I know clover hay tends to be higher in calcium so do you think that will make up for the lower ratio in their pellets?
They also get about a cup of leafy greens per day each (which regularly includes: Kale, corriander, parsley, arugula, sometimes a bit of others) I know kale is also high in calcium...

These are the best kind of pellets I can buy in my area. The second best would be oxbow but it is more expensive and not as good as these pellets :p

I just want to give my buns the best possible diet that I can! Thank you in advance for all your advice :)

That sounds more like those alfalfa mix hays and I would ditch that for hay that does not have clover/alfalfa.
Pure timothy or orchard.
Parsley is like kale and spinach. High in protein/calcium which should be moderated.

The pellets are fine. Thats what I feed too. Oxbow is way over priced and over talked.

I don't know your pellet's brand but I agree with Watermelons on the rest. Less calcium is better than too much. Rabbits use very little of it as they have got light skeletons and there is already some in vegetables, the water (tap water is often considered too rich in calcium already) and the pellets. Just make sure your rabbit has some direct sun light from time to time so that he assimilate it well, but I've never seen any rabbit having a problem from not enough calcium. Clover can give your rabbit stomach aches so it's not really recommended (of course, it won't kill your rabbit, but it's not really a must).
For the vegetables, the House Rabbit society list is good. Going with seasonal vegetables, trying not to give the same (at least changing one or two) every week and maintaining about a 2/3 leafy greens 1/3 roots ratio (I generally get about 5 or 6 different vegetables a week) generally means you have something balanced. Just avoid giving a ton of parsley and kale vegetables on the same days to not overdose the calcium. You'll know by looking at the litterbox if there is too much (you get white residues in the urine or white-ish poops). If it happens, I just give a lot of vegetables high in water and poor in calcium for a few days to 'flush' it out.
I found the whole 'rabbit nutrition' thing really intimidating and complicated when I started and I relaxed a lot about it since then ^^.

I am the same as far as nutrition goes but mine is more for ratios of what to feed. AJ should be around 2 1/2 - 3 pounds max weight, right now he is gaining weight and I am unsure how much he weighs. Right now this is what AJ is getting.

Unlimited hay

Pellets amount = a SMALL hand full in morning and at night

Greens amount = approx 1/2 a cup or a bit more. Consists mainly washed romain lettuce salad mix right now.

Fruit amount = 1-3 pieces depending on size every 1-2 days right now.

I will be growing some greens for him but am curious what would be best for him nutrient wise?

Should I grow grasses for him (like wheat grass fodder) and which kind are best for a bunny?

Thank you for any info I appreciate any info you can share.

I will be growing some greens for him but am curious what would be best for him nutrient wise?

Should I grow grasses for him (like wheat grass fodder) and which kind are best for a bunny?

Thank you for any info I appreciate any info you can share.

Herbs are great to grow for bunnies. Basil does great in the heat and can be fed daily. Cilantro and mint are also good options. Mint grows so prolifically that it is often recommended to grow it in pots to prevent it from spreading everywhere.

Okay thanks everyone!
I don't have a yard right now and anyway Canada has awful winters, but I have started growing coriander, mint, basil, and parsley for them indoors.
The two main greens they get are coriander and arugula. As for the hay I blend it myself as in my research it said it was really important for them to have a variety of hays. The majority of the mix is timothy, which has a small amount of clover in it, and orchard grass. Like I buy it separately and mix it together in their mangers etc. There is 0 alfalfa hay in their diet now as they are too old for it.
I'm looking into getting some grass seeds to grow as well dandelion and some comfrey from my dads garden to grow.
I've been reading this amazing site here:
https://riseandshinerabbitry.com/2012/06/09/medicinal-herbs-for-rabbits/
for good information on greens and herbs etc. (If you skip over the few paragraphs at the beginning to just read the list please be aware that these are for preventative measures and not actual medicine to cure health problems. Nothing is a substitute for a vet when you have a sick bunny!!!!)

But so anyway, you don't think I have to worry about the calcium:phosphorus ratio being too low in those pellets?

You dont need to mix hays. But you can if you want to.
You just want grass hay.
Ditch the clover.
100% grass type hay.

And the pellets are fine. As you said your rabbits are done growing if you say their are too old for alfalfa.

Mint grows great here in Rhode Island. I will try the others. I learned something today about AJs old diet that infuriated me but now I know why he loves his food so much.

What about growing the grasses? What types are best?

Latest posts

Back