Anyone had a rabbit with cataracts?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwinf8936

Reaction score
Are there an treatment options for a rabbit with cataracts?
might have spelled it wrong.

Laser surgery works well. Of course, it's also pretty costly and it's surgery so it does come with some risks (like everytime you do surgery). If it's something you're thinking about, I would discuss it with your vet. Personally, my decision would greatly depend on the age and general health of the rabbit. Also on what the vet has to say about the probable evolution of the cataract. I have a blind rabbit and initially thought it might be cataract (it isn't, her optical nerves just aren't working anymore and you can't do anything about it) so I thought about the surgery option too. All I can say is that she adjusted really well after a few months and I don't think being blind impacted her quality of life at all. She's been blind for 2 years now and you would never guess by looking at her - most people go 'but are you SURE she's blind?' when they see her move. She lives like a completely normal rabbit and she actually gets along even better with her bunny friend than before. She still steals the last carrot slice from under his nose, is the first to pounce on any food I bring, runs around at top speed and I've never seen her bumping in anything. She has an extraordinary hearing and memory of where everything is. I keep things mostly where they should be and announce my actions by saying always the same things when I give food / open the window / come into the room / take out the littertray to wash it and she's not frazzled by anything anymore. When I make an unusual noise she tenses but as soon as she hears my voice, she relaxes.
All of that to say that as long as you don't have any complication, a blind rabbit can have a long happy life (she will turn 9 this year ^^).

If the other eye get it, then I will discuss the options with my vet.

Just keep an eye on his eyes to make sure it's not evolving and there is no sign of pain. Best of luck to you both!

Latest posts

Back