Need help with cage measurements

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermelin

Reaction score
To the summer I’m going to build a hutch with an secure encloser/paddock for the rabbits but I don’t know which measurement will be good. In the cage there will be an isolated living area so it can stand the cold winters. I need the help with the hutch measurement.

The rabbits living in the cage are going to be a French loop and my tiny Netherland Dwarf rabbit.

index.php

There going to be two separated areas which I’ll can close between them when they eat. Both rabbits will have one room each which are isolated, have a litter boxe and bedding. The way to the dwarf rabbit room will have a smaller entrance so if he want to hide from the French loop and he gets his own territory in the cage. I know rabbits often have there own territory, so I want to give the small one a chance for having it’s own home in the cage.

I know the french loop will be the dominant of the rabbits because my dwarf it’s so small.

Will it be a smart idea or should I just ignore building an extra room.

being dwarf doesn't always means it'll be the weak one. also depends on how well they're bonded.

There going to be two separated areas which I’ll can close between them when they eat. Both rabbits will have one room each which are isolated, have a litter boxe and bedding. The way to the dwarf rabbit room will have a smaller entrance so if he want to hide from the French loop and he gets his own territory in the cage. I know rabbits often have there own territory, so I want to give the small one a chance for having it’s own home in the cage.

I know the french loop will be the dominant of the rabbits because my dwarf it’s so small.

Will it be a smart idea or should I just ignore building an extra room.

It doesn't sound like you are understanding the concept of rabbits and bonding. You cannot just put two rabbits together and expect them to get along. Nor can you expect that the larger one will be dominant. That is not how it works. If the dwarf is dominant, the larger one will have no way to escape.

You'll need to first learn all about bonding rabbits before attempting to have two rabbits interact. Then they both need to be fixed and then go through a
monitored bonding process. There are no guarantees that they will bond either.

Neither rabbit can live in the same hutch until they have been fixed and bonded. Once bonded, they cannot be separated - no separate areas.

I'm afraid it sounds like you are going about the hutch building without grasping how rabbits live together.

Maybe take some time to browse around this forum and gather more information first.

It doesn't sound like you are understanding the concept of rabbits and bonding. You cannot just put two rabbits together and expect them to get along. Nor can you expect that the larger one will be dominant. That is not how it works. If the dwarf is dominant, the larger one will have no way to escape.

You'll need to first learn all about bonding rabbits before attempting to have two rabbits interact. Then they both need to be fixed and then go through a
monitored bonding process. There are no guarantees that they will bond either.

Neither rabbit can live in the same hutch until they have been fixed and bonded. Once bonded, they cannot be separated - no separate areas.

I'm afraid it sounds like you are going about the hutch building without grasping how rabbits live together.

Maybe take some time to browse around this forum and gather more information first.

My dwarf rabbit haven’t showed any signs for being territorial, and the rabbits will have time to bond. The buck will get castrated and the same will happen to the doe when she get to the age. We have veterinarians who specializes on rabbits so I’m not afraid . They will bond in the house where the French loop will get the chance to live in my room and my dwarf will be in his cage. So they get used with each other’s smells before I introduce them . Then I’ll let them meet in a neutral room while I’m watching them. And they will get the chance to bond before I put them in the cage. I have the whole summer trying to get them to bond which is 3 months with no school and build the outdoor cage. They will have the half of the house as their cage while they get to know each other and it’s big enough for them to run away from each other if they think it get to much.

Why I thought the buck (dwarf) will not be the dominant it’s because I’m going to castrate him before I get the doe kit (French loop). And often the doe will be the dominant one because the buck will be castrated. Not always but often.

It will be an open bottom hutch and it will stand on grass, the bottom of the hutch will have a net to keep predators out and the rabbits won’t be able to dig out but will have grass to eat. Also the ramp up to the living area will have a door which will lock so if some predator manage to get in to the bottom during the night the rabbits will be safe.

The bottom of the cage will have the area of 43,6 sq ft (6,6*6,6). One side will have a wind cover where they will have a shelf and a hiding place if they get scared of something.
The living area will be 17,2 sq ft (6,6*2,6) and have an isolated area for the winters.
The height of the cage will be 6,2 ft, the upper part will be 2,6 ft and the bottom will be 3,6 ft.
They will also get a make shift run pen which will be connected to the cage also but they will only be able to run in it when someone watching, because it won’t be as safe as their home.

Will these measurements work for a French loop and a dwarf rabbit living togheter. Or will it be too small for them.

Have you built this hutch yet if not you should consider a couple small changes make the covered area one room they can both keep together for warmth etc as long as they did bond perfectly to live with one another and then consider the bottom or run area to be double the size as you should generally have enough room for a rabbit to stand on hind legs for height min. and the length at smalkest for your FL (french lop) to be able to hop at least 2 full lengths end to end and make it half the width of you length so a 10 foot long run will be 5 foot wide

The height will be 3,7 feet the bottom area and the above will be 3,1 feet so I think the french lop will have enough height to stand up straight. I've changed the measurement to 10*2,6 living area and the run will be 10*10 predator safe. and then they will have the whole yard at the back side which it's 100 sq m as their run during supervision because I have sea eagles and hawks in my area, so I have to be with them at all time during the summer time.

Latest posts

Back