protecting carpet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minirexluvers

Reaction score
We are considering getting another mini rexbun--we lost ours last year and too devastated to try again until now.She was a chewer--sneaky too! She chewed carpet behind the door, underthe bed, behind the curtains! We will put the new bun in a section ofthe living room, but need advice to protect the carpet and the bun!

Also, where do you get Cat's Best or another recycled newspaper litterto use in the litter pans? We want to do everything right this time. Wewere told by the breeder that it was ok to use cedar shavings in hercage and litter pans (but not pine)---she had Pasturella which is whatshe probably died from.

Thanks anyone! :D

I've heard that putting something heavy like a marble tile helps. A squirt gun to squirt them when you catch them.

Now something I tried that worked wonders was ground pepper. Isprinkled a bunch of pepper where they were digging. After the firsttime they found other things to occupy themselves.

Another idea is to give the rabbit a 'safe' place to dig. Fill a boxwith newspaper and they can dig in that. Some people even fill a boxwith sterile dirt for bunn to dig in.

I'm sure the others here will have more ideas.

Tina

No cedar. Use the pine,please. You will see other postings about the cedar vs pinehere in the forum. Please take heed.

Good luck with your mini Rex. They are beautiful. Mickey was my house rabbit...mini Rex buck.

I can not believe a breeder told you to use cedarshavings and not pine. Cedar shavings can be deadly to yourbunny. It causes all sorts or respiratory problems and cankill them. I know there were several people on the oldrabbits only board that lost their buns due to using cedarshavings. While they smell nice to people, the fumes can killbuns. If you must use shavings, use pine. Use acage with a drop pan, easy to clean, and bun is never in contact withits waste. If you want to litter train, that is good too, and uselitter non toxic to buns. Since many house, litter trainedbuns are also caged part of the day or at night the drop pan cage isthe way to go. You can put plain old store brand kitty litterin the bottom of the pan. Just pour it in another room, sobun doesn't breath in the dust. Any time the bun goes whilein the cage, the odor is absorbed. Also since most buns picka corner and use it all the time, cleaning is easy, just clean out thatcorner, and respread the clean litter around. We have twobuns in the house, and you would never know they are there.Out in the rabbitry, we have about 40 not counting kits in nestboxes. All have drop pans. Donna

Don't know if this will work forchewing. And, rabbits are natural chewers.This is suggested for skunks.....pouring white viniger on the spotwhere the skunk is digging...there is probably something therethat smells good, as in food, and skunks dig for food.I didn't have a chewing problem with my mini Rex buck in thehouse. Of course, he was contained in a bathroom and kitchenwhere there were no cords or anything that he could get hurt with orhurt. The kitchen was carpeted, but he never did chew on itor any of the throw rugs that I had in either room.

Anybody else have any experience with white vinegar and rabbits?

I use vinegar to wipe down Apollo's cage afterI clean it. I have also used vinegar as a rinse after I mop the kitchenfloor. I've also wiped it on the couch after I cleaned up an accident.I've never heard of using it to discourage digging or chewing.

Another good idea is to cover the floor with one of those mats theyuse under computer desks to make the chair roll better. Italso makes clean up easier if bunn has an accident.

You can find Yesterday's News and Cats Best at most petstores.

Tina

Like I said, it is suggested to discouragedigging with skunks. They naturally dig for theirfood. It neutralizes odors that people don't even smell, butmay be buried deep in a carpet.

For skunks.....It suggests that , of course, youtest a small area first to see if the white vinegar is going tostain. Of course, my thinking is that if The LittleSweetheart has been digging or chewing, a stain isn't going to makemuch difference!!! (The white vinegar did not stain any ofthe carpet that I've used it on. It helps neutralize otherodors, also.) You're supposed to put enough of it on thecarpet that it soaks clear thru the padding under the carpet.Yes, your room will smell like a pickle factory for a few minutes, butit quickly fades.

dajeti2 wrote:
Now something I tried that worked wonders was ground pepper. Isprinkled a bunch of pepper where they were digging. After the firsttime they found other things to occupy themselves.

Tina
Hmmmmmm ... this sounds very interesting, Tina.Sherman has started some digging on a small scale on some areas of thecarpet. This "pepper" trick, I think, warrants atry.

I used vinegar once to clean up Kibbles' favoritespot in front of our mirror. He peed there a lot, but he hasnever wet there since I used the vinegar. He stillprefers to pile his marbles in that corner though :?. (He's freshlyneutered, maybe he will not do that too much in the future) [fingerscrossed]

The only thing is it left the spot feeling a little sticky.If you use the vinegar,you might end up with a dirt magnet.

BunnyMommy, Athena was my carpet digger andchewer. She picked a spot upstairs in front of a door. I knew when shewent to start chewing because she took one sniff, sneezed twice andcame back downstairs. It only took that one time to completely breakher of it.

Tina

Thanks everyone for your replies re. the carpetchewing issue---that is the main concern preventing us from tryingagain w/ a house bunny. The things that go under chairs in offices is agreat idea, but won't the bun slip and slide all over it? Is it safefor buns to chew and eat newspaper??? I suppose we could put newspaperall over but that might get very messy also. Someone else oncesuggested buying carpet squares that are used as samples at carpetstores and stitching them together??? But if buns chew them, won't thecarpet fibers be bad for their digestion?

Oh, does anyone know where you buy bitter applespray?? It was also suggested as a preventative for chewing and/ordigging? I tried Cayenne pepper, but not black pepper! Thanks!

Bitter Apple spray should be sold at any storethat sells pet supplies (such as Walmart, etc.). It is meant for dogs,I don't think they make one specifically for rabbits.

Thank you! I thought maybe a natural food store,but I will try our local pet supply! How about the newspaper--is it okfor buns to chew and eat it in quantities (if it were used to cover ahardcarpet protector--or any other suggestions???

Thanks!

Newspaper would turn the carpet black if you havea light colored carpet. Not to mention it makes the whole place smellstrongly of news print.All they willdo is tear itup soitprobably wont do good to stop the digging, Ifind that newspaper tends to make my boys dig and chew, lol. I don'tknow how good or bad it is for a bunny though, sorry.

Oops, didn't see that you said over the mat. Idon't know how much good it would do, an old bed sheet would probablybe just as good. If it's a flat sheet you can simply tuck the edgesunder and then you can wash it when needed.

Thanks for your responses! When I put atowel in our bun's cage at night, she would pee on it so I stoppeddoing it! I'm afraid the sheet might end up just becoming a pottyrather than to protect the carpet from pee stains and chewing!

Put a litter box where the rabbit pees perhaps? I don't know, sorry. I've run out of ideas! lol.

Latest posts

Back